Grouper Attacks Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fergyjohn, somehow the mental image of a BIG fish trying to swallow me whole kept me awake.

Poor kelpmermaid. You read the article didn't you? Well, maybe you can try imagining that you fought off the BIG fish before it could swallow you whole, knocked him out cold with a pony bottle, and now you're sitting down enjoying tender fish fillet with another 3 months supply of fishmeat in the freezer.

Hope that helps in giving you a good night's sleep.

:wink:

Well, it still freaks me out, but maybe with black bean sauce...YIPES!

When I first set up a salt water aquarium, I was tempted to purchase a beautiful 3 inch panther grouper. My friend and aquarium shop owner warned me that the cute little fish can grow up to 3 feet in length in captivity, and will attempt to eat anything that will fit into its mouth. I think of that conversation when I come into contact with those Big Daddies in the wild. If I'm going to be eaten by a fish while diving, I really don't want it to be a grouper, or a groper.

Originally posted by Iguana Don
ADG,

Sounds to my like a Freudian slip!

hahahaha and just before bedtime!!

I am availabe for groping on Wednesday's and Saturdays, the rest of the time, just plain ole lusting.

now that's really interesting - how DO u plan your groping schedule?? :wink:

Originally posted by fergyjohn
G/day
Reference from the Macquarie Dictionary "GROPER" any or several species of large Australia or NZ fishwith an enormously wide mouth opening. Funny did not mention the word GROUPER.

:jester: :) :D

That's really interesting - is groper used instead of grouper in other places like UK? Coz if you mentioned groper here, no-one in our country's gonna be thinking of the fish for sure :wink:

ages - hahahah that's really funny - now if only u guys had managed to catch a picture of that!

Strick - now that is a real loss to the diving community. Unfortunately many parts of the diving world are being violated by fishermen or people who dont appreciate the beauties of the ocean, and many marine creatures are vanishing off the face of earth. Well, all i can say is what goes around comes around - i sure hope those jerks get a fitting punishment sometime in their lives.

Thresher - better a grouper than a triggerfish hehehe actually i find the triggerfish more frightening than anything else, they can be super scary ESP when u come face to face with one - that happened to me recently at Similans. I was happily cruising along, when one of the DMs made the sign for triggerfish. Now u must understand that there were triggerfish everywhere in Similans, and they generally didnt bother us much (not nesting time), so i was thinking what's the big deal. I looked, but didnt see anything (must have been blind). The DM signalled again, and suddenly, the bloody triggerfish was rite IN MY FACE! I bolt upwards, and thank goodness for the quick flight, coz it attacked the diver behind me. gee. it tried to get me, but i guess it got tired of playing hide and seek with me, and went for more tempting targets.

Woah ADG! Three posts in succession?! Girl, I don't think you chose the right avatar with the rate your hammering on those keys. :wink:

About triggerfishes, I've had my share of encounters with these guys and I agree that they're more frightening than groupers, especially when they do circles around you and then attack at blinding speed. I know of one 'mother' of a Titan Triggerfish who likes to hang out inside a huge rock opening. Nesting or not, I always steer clear of the area whenever I dive there. He's the biggest trigger I've seen so far.

It saddens me everytime I hear stories like the one by Strick. I've come across cage-nets while diving, left by fishermen in areas where fishing is illegal. Whenever I see these cages with fishes trapped inside, I flip them over, release the trap door and slice the netting all around with my diveknife. :devious:

I heard (from a volunteer) at the Aquarium of the Pacific in Long Beach, CA, that one of the Queensland groupers on display there had actually been donated from a local enthusiast's home aquarium. It wasn't huge, but it was getting there...what a pet!

Thresher,

Good idea, maybe I should custom make a pic of a hammerhead shark banging his head against the computer :winky:

Hmmm which dive site is this triggerfish seen?? maybe I should go check it out - will drag a couple of strong DMs along for protection hehe

yeah, last June I was off the waters of Tioman doing a liveaboard. At this dive site called Tokong Burung, we came across a drowned turtle trapped in fishing nets which spanned a couple of metres! (around 10-12m lying across the reef). It was a horrible sight - we spent the dive trying to cut through the net in sections and remove it, but didnt manage to finish it. Absolutely heartbreaking

;-0

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom