Guadalupe Trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Carole R

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
tp.gif
WOW!!!
Just came back from Guadalupe Island, cage Diving with the Great White Shark!
Travelling with the Nautilus Explorer.
This is just one of over 500 Pictures that wraps up the Week's Event!!

GreatWhite1.JPG

Nautilus Explorer Trip. Personal Survey

5-Excellent
4-Great
3-Good
2-Fair
1-Poor

Boat Size - 5 (accommodates 24 guests comfortably)
Crew - 5 (incredible personal service)
Cabin size - 5 (Shower in every cabin) +++++++ LOL
Food - 2 (It ain't no Chef!!)
Scenery - 10+ Magnificent

The bus ride from SanDiego to the boat is 2hrs (with a short delay at the border). The boat ride to Guadalupe is 22 hours and a little testing on us land folks. We had wonderful sea condition, but it still took most of us the full 22hrs to get our Sea legs. Bring your patches and/or bonine to make the transition a little smoother and DO NOT eat a "Buffet" style dinner prior to the trip (just some friendly advice). Once the boat anchors in the Bay...there is very little, if any, "Sea" movement on the boat.
By Morning ALL travelling time is FORGOTTEN!!, Ask anyone who has been this close to a Great White Shark (in a safe environment no doubt) and they will tell you that Amazing just begins to describe it. The trip is just long enough...and you leave with a greater understanding and LOVE for these incredible Animals.

A Do Over? - No, it's a once in a lifetime and it was all that it could be.

Once in a lifetime? No, once in a technology cycle! I filmed them in mini-DV two years ago, but now I need to return to film them in High Def!! Still photographers have a distinct advantage there (although you could argue that photographing them in 10 megapixels will require a return to photograph them in 20 megapixels!).

Hey Carole/Drbill:

Carole: we were anchored across from you on the 112 ft Solmar V. Similar report- great crew, food, wine, fellow divers, and of course great whites. There were three cages on the Solmar for the 14 of us: two on the starboard with room for four, and one off the port side that descends to 40 feet or so for one diver and divemaster.

We saw eleven different individuals. Did you catch the 400 pound elephant seal that was attacked and eaten by a great white? Really fascinating. Apparently this was only the second witnessed attack since 1999. Very interesting on the DVD.

I am a still photographer, and am planning on heading back, probably next August. Different mix of sharks (more males earlier in the season), and different lighting (more late afternoon lighting). What a fantastic location.

Cheers,

Dan

Hey Carole/Drbill:

Did you catch the 400 pound elephant seal that was attacked and eaten by a great white? Really fascinating. Apparently this was only the second witnessed attack since 1999. Very interesting on the DVD.

I went last year to Guadalupe, with Nautillus explorer. It was awesome, i love sharks and more since i´been there, but yes, after reading your post, i must go back to wait for a shark attack........ feeling very jealoussssss!!!!

Hey Carole/Drbill:

Carole: we were anchored across from you on the 112 ft Solmar V. Similar report- great crew, food, wine, fellow divers, and of course great whites. There were three cages on the Solmar for the 14 of us: two on the starboard with room for four, and one off the port side that descends to 40 feet or so for one diver and divemaster.

We saw eleven different individuals. Did you catch the 400 pound elephant seal that was attacked and eaten by a great white? Really fascinating. Apparently this was only the second witnessed attack since 1999. Very interesting on the DVD.

I am a still photographer, and am planning on heading back, probably next August. Different mix of sharks (more males earlier in the season), and different lighting (more late afternoon lighting). What a fantastic location.

Cheers,

Dan

I heard about the seal, but didn't see it. I saw the result on the shark though, she was cut up from head to toe. I guess we should also get into cages if we see the elephant seal. Just out of curiousity, what were you chumming/baiting with? We were there at the right time. The biologist noted 11 sharks and one new baby(charlie).
I keep telling anyone who will listen to save their pennies and book a trip...AWESOME!! You're right about going back though, I've been home a week and am already getting the itch to go back, I heard some interesting stories from others and realize there's so much I didn't see....Yet!!.
Carole

Hi Carole:

We were chumming with major tuna parts, plus an interesting mixture of what I called tuna bisque. It believe it was a mixture of finely ground fish parts, mixed with fish blood, and lightly accented with anchovies. We had the same count of eleven sharks, but I don't recall anyone seeing a young one.

I just finished a short film clip, and will see if I can post it on Scubaboard under my photos. There is a shot of the tuna barrel on the stern. Scubaboard does not appear to like virtual URL's, so I have had a bit of difficulty posting pictures. We set up a web site for our group to swap photos and videos, and I can post that link if you are interested.

Dan

Back
Top Bottom