Question GUE and Wreck Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BoltSnap

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I have gone through GUE's website and it seems that they only offer the general technical diving courses and cave diving but no mention of any wreck diving courses. Does GUE not offer any wreck diving courses officially but is offered as "instructor specified" specialties through some of their instructor or GUE doesn't support or recognize wreck diving training at all?

If no wreck diving, why not? GUE instructor don't offer wreck diving through GUE but they do through other agencies? Is wreck diving looked down upon like other technical divers look down upon reef/pretty fish diving?

In short, does GUE have special aversion to wreck diving and/or wants to be involved with Cave diving training only as their primary specialty?

This might be relevant

This might be relevant

Thank you.

Doesn't quite answer my questions.

Thank you.

Doesn't quite answer my questions.
Well it seems that there is no wreck class per se, but some instructors run some wreck diving during their class (according to that thread)

If not then you need to acquire your experience some other way as you said.

Well it seems that there is no wreck class per se, but some instructors run some wreck diving during their class (according to that thread)

Yes, but there is no standards for doing that from GUE. Some instructors maybe doing it as "an add on" based on their experience but no curriculum or any material from GUE on the subject. No GUE instructor I have read about or visited their website talks about wreck diving at all (and I have visit many of them).

Out of curiosity have you done an advanced wreck class from a technical agency?

I was thinking of doing the TDI one.

I did a recreational wreck class and mine was pretty bad: the other guy who did the class started to make a maze inside the stairs trying to lay line then went down the cargo bay while laying line instead of coming back up as planned.

Also we went accidentally in deco as a result and we held him by the legs during the stop as he was too light …

Out of curiosity have you done an advanced wreck class from a technical agency?

Yes, from NAUI but it was long time ago. I want to do update/refresher type of advanced technical wreck diving course(s). The one I took, part of it was in the NY Long Island sound where we had stiff currents and almost pitch black visibility. You actually didn't know if you were inside or outside the wreck at some points. The instructor was a very experienced marine police diver in addition to his extensive wreck diving experience.

there is enough crossover in many of the skills from gue tech/cave. tdi advanced wreck isn't all that popular as is. a primer course to cover the differences for a wreck penetration is a better option imo for gue since so many of their members already are doing the cave progression.

Seems their entire existence spawned from overhead environment exploration diving so seems like a good course for them to offer in the future.

Yes, that's what I am thinking and hoping.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom