Question GUE and Wreck Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In North America when it comes to wrecks, I’d likely call Kelvin Davidson. He has a wealth of experience from his time running the Truk Lagoon Dive Center, and diving wrecks around the world.
Maybe also Kirill Egorov.

As a GUE diver the expectation is that you’re a thinking diver, not “do I have a card that says x.”

As a thinking diver I’d say my experience is x, and y, the dive I’m looking to do will also require z.

To get z, I’ll call up an instructor with experience in that realm. We’ll come up with a plan that augments the training I’ve received so that I’m able to get to z. That might be an hour on the phone, or a few days diving with the instructor working on new skills, and *gasp* we might even integrate course materials from another agency while relating it back to GUE’s SOPs.

In North America when it comes to wrecks, I’d likely call Kelvin Davidson. He has a wealth of experience from his time running the Truk Lagoon Dive Center, and diving wrecks around the world.

An hour phone call is not going to get you to “z” in this case; please think (more) about this and use your latter option.

Maybe also Kirill Egorov.
Also Bob Sherwood. His courses from Rec 1 to Fundies are on wrecks in the St Lawrence. His Tech 1, Tech 2, Rebreather, etc. training dives are on the Jodrey, Vickery, and other shipwrecks.

Navigating the environment of the training dives, like wrecks, dealing with current, drysuits in cold water, EANx/mixed gases, doubles, etc., are built into the courses with a GUE instructor.
I know you know that, but for others who might not.

An hour phone call is not going to get you to “z” in this case; please think (more) about this and use your latter option.

You’re misinterpreting this, I’m not suggesting an hour phone call for someone who has zero wreck experience to become a bold deep wreck penetration diver. X, Y, and Z are simply being used to represent the knowledge, skills, experience, etc. to conduct a dive (any dive).

For some dives, the changes relative to a divers current experience, knowledge, and skill may be minor, and can be addressed by discussing how to handle the changes over the phone. Others may be major shifts, requiring additional practical experience and in depth discussion.

The point is, that thinking divers don’t need to look in their wallet for a card that tells them if they are capable of doing a certain dive. Im sure we’ve all seen far too many divers who have cards far exceeding their true capability, but are emboldened by the fact they’ve got something tangible in their pocket that says otherwise.

Also Bob Sherwood. His courses from Rec 1 to Fundies are on wrecks in the St Lawrence. His Tech 1, Tech 2, Rebreather, etc. training dives are on the Jodrey, Vickery, and other shipwrecks.

Navigating the environment of the training dives, like wrecks, dealing with current, drysuits in cold water, EANx/mixed gases, doubles, etc., are built into the courses with a GUE instructor.
I know you know that, but for others who might not.
The Jodrey is probably the most challenging wreck in the region. Diving a rebreather on that wreck is a no go for me. My scooter was barely even worth the hassle.

Yes, from NAUI but it was long time ago. I want to do update/refresher type of advanced technical wreck diving course(s). The one I took, part of it was in the NY Long Island sound where we had stiff currents and almost pitch black visibility. You actually didn't know if you were inside or outside the wreck at some points. The instructor was a very experienced marine police diver in addition to his extensive wreck diving experience.
You referring to capt mike?

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom