Question GUE - Is it much different to traditional agencies like SSI or PADI?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zinman

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
GUE is a name I learnt today from this forum.

I have since read about it and it appears meticulous and different to rushed OW certification approach the more common agencies have.

However, I wanted to know if it's actually different? And how so? It's dearer than OW courses, hence the due diligence.

I am OW certified recently so based on reading, would be looking at GUE Fundamental course.

Also there appears to be just 1 GUEF instructor and agency in NZ offering it?

Thanks.

BLUF…based on my “personal” experiences, yes the GUE Recreational Fundies course could be beneficial to you dive training journey.

Most recreational diving courses have a rather short scope of objectives. Compared to those courses the fundies course will improve your trim, buoyancy control, propulsion techniques and dive planning protocols. It will give you a new level of confidence that might otherwise take much longer thru other training avenues. Blow are the course’s training standards.

Now you might ask the question, “Are your diving goals in line with the Fundies course?” Since you are posting that question, it most likely is. Now I would contact the NZ instructor and discuss the course and your expectations.

Have a good time…I did.

Understand tbat GUE training is heavially focused on the skills you need for cave diving. The organization is an outgrowth of the North Florida cave diving community and exists as an attempt to reduce the number of divers dying in caves in the region. They are extremely focused on one type of diving done one way. I don't know what your long term goals in diving are, but consider whether they align with the philosophies and goals of the training organization. Also ask what level of success you can have in the class without buying or borrowing a lot of specialized equopment.

GUE fundies is, in some ways like taking BUDS (Basic Underwater Demolition / SEAL) trainining to be a better diver. It is an intense, highly specialized class aimed at a specific skillset. An average run of the mill diver who takes it can absolutely benefit, but probably doesn't need that level of training unless yiu plan to go tech / cave.

I think Cthippo is overstating things a bit. Fundies is a dual role course. It even offers two certification levels that match those roles. There will definitely be those looking at the course as the jumping off point on their way to cave or other tech certification. But it can also be used for divers who are only interested in maximizing their skills as a recreational diver.

The price is higher mostly because the amount of training time is greater and the requirements for the demonstration of skills are more demanding than the PADI and SSI minimums. A portion of the cost may be paying for the "exclusive" name as well, but you definitely getting more than just marketing fluff for most of your extra dollars.

Note that GUE isn't alone. They were the first (?) and are the largest of a group of training agencies that follow similar practices that is generically known as DIR diving.

Wikipedia gives a reasonable overview: Doing It Right (scuba diving) - Wikipedia

And there is a subforum here where you can ask more specific questions: DIR

That said... Based on your other thread, I don't think you are ready to jump into a Fundies course just yet unless the instructor is extraordinarily understanding and patient. IMO, you should look for a good local instructor - from any agency - for a couple of hours of private instruction to get your buoyancy and BCD issues corrected.

But it would certainly be worth talking to a DIR instructor if you think you'd be interested in their approach.

Over the past few months, I have conducted interviews with GUE instructors for the podcast. The goal was to highlight some misconceptions one might have about the agency and training. Might be worth a listen for you. 2/5 episodes have been released, with more coming throughout the week.

Gemma Thomas: February 5th
Meredith Tanguay: February 6th
Annika Persson: February 7th
Jordan Allured: February 8th
Jon Kieren: February 9th

Podcast — "Off Gassing" A Scuba Podcast

GUE fundies is, in some ways like taking BUDS (Basic Underwater Demolition / SEAL) trainining to be a better diver. It is an intense, highly specialized class aimed at a specific skillset.
@Zinman I'm pretty sure Cthippo has never taken a GUE class (correct me if I'm wrong), and you will hear a lot of weird things from people that have no clue. It's a shame there are so many misconceptions about. I'd say listen to the podcasts listed above, and see if you can talk to some local GUE divers to see if it's for you.

I think @lowwall is right that it would be best to start with a couple of private sessions and then take it from there.

GUE is a name I learnt today from this forum.

I have since read about it and it appears meticulous and different to rushed OW certification approach the more common agencies have.

However, I wanted to know if it's actually different? And how so? It's dearer than OW courses, hence the due diligence.

I am OW certified recently so based on reading, would be looking at GUE Fundamental course.

Also there appears to be just 1 GUEF instructor and agency in NZ offering it?

Thanks.
Since you just got certified, taking GUE Recreational Diver 1 as opposed to Fundamentals may be a good option. Basically starting from scratch with proper training.

Fundies is a brilliant course, you can aim for a "Rec" pass but if I were you, I would wait a bit until you gain some comfort in the water. Fundies is not a boot camp by any means and the skills are basic but you will be exhausted at the end of the day. I think it's useful to have some experience before doing Fundies - otherwise you might be overwhelmed or slow down the rest of the team a lot. You also need to use a specific gear setup.

What might help you is to reach out to a GUE instructor (or any decent instructor, really) and do a coaching day in a quarry.

It also helps if the instructor can hook you up with a group of divers who train together frequently and who could take you under their wings to go diving. It's important to dive with other normal divers, not just 1:1 with paid DMs.

Hmm, I don't understand the "disagree" on my previous posting suggesting GUE Recreational Diver 1 recommendation in that the poster basically lists the reasons why Rec. 1 would be a better fit for a brand new diver like yourself.

If you sign up for a GUE Fundamentals course, you may be on a team where the other two divers might have much more experience. For example, I know of a experienced diver who just took Fundies and one student also had a lot of experience and the other student was a full cave instructor with another agency taking Fundies in hopes of eventually becoming a GUE instructor. So the above poster's point of being overwhelmed or slow the team down is why the Recreational Diver 1 would probably be a better fit for you if you want to train with GUE. You would be starting off as a new diver in GUE equipment configuration (Backplate/Wing and Long hose) with others at your level and the same struggles. It is a longer course than Fundies, in that it is 6 days as opposed to 4, giving you more time to get down the fundamentals; buoyancy, trim, propulsion, safety, comfort in the water etc.

As to cost, I saw in your other thread you were thinking of taking a Peak Performance Buoyancy course. I know those specialty courses aren't cheap. With the Rec. 1 course you would learn buoyancy and also Nitrox which is another specialty course. Saving those two specialty courses covers a nice proportion of Rec. 1 fee.

If you are thinking of GUE, I think Recreational Diver 1 would be the better fit.

Hmm, I don't understand the "disagree" on my previous posting suggesting GUE Recreational Diver 1 recommendation in that the poster basically lists the reasons why Rec. 1 would be a better fit for a brand new diver like yourself.
Rec1 is a very niche course so OP would most likely end up doing it alone or need to schedule it well in advance - a serious financial commitment in instructor fees, time off and equipment, especially after getting through open water already and especially for someone who might or might not decide to stick with the hobby (the other thread with 2 attempts at OW). There is a reason

So an alternative with less commitment is to look for some short coaching and a path to see if diving is still fun, maybe join a club?

I do agree that PBB most likely won't help... And I do wish that I started with Rec1, in a drysuit & doubles, instead of a "just OK" 3 day OW in Thailand :wink: .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom