GUE Membership

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

detroit diver,

Your not still mad are ya?
i have another question though (for anyone who could answer). I can't help it honest. These things just keep popping into my head.

Was it a solo bounce dive?

MikeFerrara once bubbled...
detroit diver,

i have another question though (for anyone who could answer). I can't help it honest. These things just keep popping into my head.

A dive down to some extreme depth (solo) for the mere fact of going to that depth. You are just there long enough to record that depth. Also means his buddy has more brains than he does.

MikeFerrara once bubbled...
detroit diver,

I originally read your question as "What is a solo bounce dive"! Therefore the answer below.

I have no idea if it was solo or not.

Nah, just a little surprised at your comments.

Well, you know what a bounce dive is, so we won't go there. And you know what solo diving is, so we won't go there.

I'm guessing this guy's not on the team anymore...or maybe he wasn't part of the team in the first place.

I get a little blunt and even sarcastic sometimes. But in all seriousness, I am concerned about the fact that a certain person presents himselfe as the leading expert on this stuff (and he comes out and says so) and some believe it just because he says so. The WKPP dives are relatively small in number and limited in range of profiles. Some of the things this guy presents as facts are hardly proven as such. In fact some of these theories are not backed by anyone else (like his endorsement of reverse profiles).

There have been many groups who have come up with rule of thumb deco procedures that worked for the dives they were doing but none yet has turned out to be the Holly Grail.

How often do we see someone running around saying how they don't need tables, comuters or software all you have to do is research the Quest list. Even GUE doesn't teach it that way but divers read this stuff and go diving. They might not need tables but if they get off the net and do any real dives they may need a chamber. We had a guy here just the other day spouting off that exact line.

You say that WKPP dives are "relatively small in number and limited in range of profiles", I beg to differ. WKPP has compiled THOUSANDS of man hours of dives inprofiles ranging from those of support divers spending several hours at 30' and shallower to Trey and JJ's extreme exploration dives. The project has been ongoing for over 10 years, that equates to a LOT of diving. The dives may not always be conducted in the public's view at Wakulla Springs, but they are occuring- pretty much every weekend of the year.

RE: Endorsement of reverse profiles- Unless my memory is COMPLETELY gone- DAN has now retracted the old "dont do reverse profiles" adage. Please correct me if I am mistaken here.

How often do people read (barely) discussions on lists such as these and decide that they know what they are doing? I am specifically referring to people reading that the DIR methos does not use computers for deco. Nothing could be farther from the truth. DIR does not promote the use of DIVE Computers because the algorythms are less than optimal. However, the use of computer generated TABLES is correct.

The problem is not necessarily in the information, but rather in people doing theier own interprestation without the full scope of data.

chickdiver once bubbled...
You say that WKPP dives are "relatively small in number and limited in range of profiles", I beg to differ. WKPP has compiled THOUSANDS of man hours of dives inprofiles ranging from those of support divers spending several hours at 30' and shallower to Trey and JJ's extreme exploration dives. The project has been ongoing for over 10 years, that equates to a LOT of diving. The dives may not always be conducted in the public's view at Wakulla Springs, but they are occuring- pretty much every weekend of the year.

RE: Endorsement of reverse profiles- Unless my memory is COMPLETELY gone- DAN has now retracted the old "dont do reverse profiles" adage. Please correct me if I am mistaken here.

How often do people read (barely) discussions on lists such as these and decide that they know what they are doing? I am specifically referring to people reading that the DIR methos does not use computers for deco. Nothing could be farther from the truth. DIR does not promote the use of DIVE Computers because the algorythms are less than optimal. However, the use of computer generated TABLES is correct.

The problem is not necessarily in the information, but rather in people doing theier own interprestation without the full scope of data.

Is that you Pina?:wink:

chickdiver once bubbled...

This is common misinformation. They did say reverse profiles are ok (no evidence that they're not) for no-stop dives above 130 ft with a range of depths less than 40 ft. They said no such thing with regard to technical dives. BRW has been kind enough to clerify that on this board.

After the report came out some of the dive magazines took off printing pieces saying it was now ok to dive reverse profiles. Then we had folks running around saying it was because of computers.

detroit diver once bubbled...
These are the folks actually using and interpreting the data. It cerainly is good enough for me.

I have found all the members of the WKPP and GUE to be more than helpful and honest about past decompression concerns. We have been working on our decompression data collection and reporting system for a long time.
The inputs from the members regarding ALL aspects of their past medical histories have made this effort exceptionally easy.

Once in place and approved by the Duke IRB, all dives done in the WKP will be reported as de-identified outcome data. I would feel like I have wasted an incredible amount of time, energy, and resources if anyone was trying to cover anything up.

Todd is 100% correct about the gossip. It serves no useful purpose.

Take care,
G

Gene Hobbs, CHT
Medical Simulation Coordinator
Human Simulation and Patient Safety Center
Center for Hyperbaric Medicine and
Environmental Physiology
DUMC Box 3437
Durham, NC 27710
919/684.3661 Lab
919/970.1311 Pager
Thanks DD. Not sure who you think was gossiping, it certainly wasn't my intent, nor do i think it was others on this thread.

Sounds like WKPP & GUE are cooperating with DAN fully which will only help all divers in the long run. Certainly a good thing!

However, and maybe i'm just dense for asking this question but i don't see how the correspondence from DAN answered it.

Do you know if the DCS incident in question was reported to DAN?
This is an honest question with no intent to degrade GUE in anyway unless they did not report it.

I have no idea if it was reported or not.

DD,
If you are going to cross-post from the Quest list, you should:

a) clearly delineate your editorial comments from those of the cross-post,

b) provide a background context of the post that you are cut/pasting. It often has a myriad of facets due to the environment the original post was made in. Those seeing the cross-post don't have the benefit of the rest of the thread you chose to leave out.

IMHO, you are better off to avoid the cross-posting and just paraphrase what you've read from there. If you paraphrase, you need only be prepared to "defend" your interpretation of what you've read. If you quote, you have to "defend" what "they" said. With the nature of the threads on Quest, I'm guessing you'll do better to avoid cross-posting "sound-bites".

A general comment that I would toss out for thought, not necessarily directed at you or this thread, is that a true grasp of a topic lies not in understanding what your have read, but in how well you can explain and lead someone else to an understanding of what you've read.

respectfully,
wb (Bob)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom