GUE Rec Triox class report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ERP

Reaction score
GUE Rec Triox class report.

So with a whopping 3 dives on my shiny new doubles I spent the weekend taking GUE's Rec Triox course.

The Instructors were Andrew, Mike (MHK on the board), Joe, and Mark

Including myself there were 4 students. Given the course cost <$400 that's a pretty damn good deal by any standards.

Day 1 started with a quick briefing in the parking lot, getting our tanks topped off and a quick stop at Starbucks (I think Andrew might drink more coffee than I do :)) before going to the lake to dive.

The dives were basic ascent, decent and valve drills Mike was kind enough to introduce warious failures during the drills to keep it interesting. Doing the basic skills while having my mask stolen, getting mysteriosly caught in the line, having my valves fail at random, airsharing and having any dangling equipment clipped to pretty much anything handy, was somewhat overwhelming. When we surfaced Mike would point out what we'd done wrong,
as far as I could make out about the only thing we did right was not drowned.

About half way through we swapped over to work with Andrew, and did a basic dive. He adjusted our weighting, and the dive had only a few minor failures.

We were back in the classroom early in the afternoon. Day 1's lectures were basically a recap of the Fundamentals course, with a strong emphasis on gas management. Once the lectures were complete we did the video review, it's an awesome teaching tool which to me always seems to be a combination of amusing and depressing :wink: .

We started early the following morning, with the swim test (Ugh!). Day 2's dives were really building on the feedback from Day 1, before being joined by the instructors, we did basic drills. We did a short dive with Andrew and it was readilly apparent that between myself and my buddies new doubles we were having some significant bouyancy issues. Mike conducted a remedial bouyancy clinic for the two of us with requisite mask removal and airsharing everytime something went right. By the time we got out of the water it was clear that myself and my buddy weren't going to be passing or diving deep on the final day.

Day2's lectures were the basics of gas blending and some basic decompression theory, figuring NDL's, what stops should be made from various depths. It was a LOT of material. We followed this up with another less critical video review and the written test.

We met at Starbucks 6:00a.m. on the 3rd day, Andrew blessed the other team to dive Triox and we drove up to Tahoe.

Day 3 is the experience dive, Andrew took the other buddy team on two dives while Mike worked with us in the shallows.

So I failed the course, but it was a lot of fun, to be honest I really wasn't looking forwards to the class. I didn't get a chance to get out with my doubles and practice prior to the class and I was expecting to get hammered. It was great learning experience and a lot of fun, and I will be taking it again once I can get a few more dives on my doubles and make them a bit less shiny :)

It's a class I would recomend without reservation, like DIRF courses the course is tailored to it's participants, several of the people in our course had intentions to move onto Tech 1 and as a result it was a little more intense than it would have been if we'd all been purely rec oriented.

This is really the first report I've read for the TriOx class, and it sounds super fun...

I know I'm sick and twisted, but I wan to take this course...once I get my BP/W...but that's a whole other topic.

Glad to hear you had fun and learned a lot about yourself with new equipment. I can't really think of a whole lot of other people I'd want to have around helping me get adjusted than the crew you were working with.

Wasn't it great having four instructors to train us. I'm not to bummed about not passing considering the incredible amount of content and the great value I recieved out of the class. Just as soon as I can get a second to type more than three sentences, I'll post a trip report to. If anyone has the chance to take the class, I would highly recommend taking it.

Remember what we said, " it's not about the c-card it's about improving your diving" I suspect both of you vastly improved your diving because of this weekend, and more importantly, know what to work on to get you to the next level.. The class was a blast, right up until the 8 1/2 hour drive home ;-)..

BTW, I don't recall causing any of the problems Rob is referring too ;-)

Thanks guys again for a great class..

Later

Remember what we said, " it's not about the c-card it's about improving your diving" I suspect both of you vastly improved your diving because of this weekend, and more importantly, know what to work on to get you to the next level.. The class was a blast, right up until the 8 1/2 hour drive home ;-)..

Oh I absolutely agree Mike, I got a great deal out of the course. And pass or fail I'd absolutely recommend the course to anyone interested. IMO it was the best learning experience I've had diving. The classroom sessions alone are worth the cost of entry IMO.

BTW, I don't recall causing any of the problems Rob is referring too ;-)

Must have been my defective equipment or overactive imagination then :p

Thanks guys again for a great class..

Thankyou for a great learning experience. :D

Rob

oh boy, i'm taking the class in 2 weeks :wacko:
i'll focus on getting as much out of it as i can and let all hopes of passing go :wink:

Sounds like fun. I do like the what-if drills. I had my valves turned off in the very narrow drop into Oliver Springs by a close relative many years ago (I was less than happy, but glad to have recognised the very tight situation it presented). Valve management is a good thing no matter how "right" you dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom