Gulf Shores Area Next Week???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'll probably be open for a dive Monday afternoon(as early as 2PM) in Pensacola Beach Reef or one of the dive sites in Orange Beach/Gulf Shores.

Yep, couple more wrecks who's locations aren't widely known.

Are they better/worse than the ones we went on? Either way, I'd want to come do them. (Are these the ones someone noted earlier/previous post, that you blind fold people you take to these dives spots? ;P)

Michael

There is also the Gulf State Pier, if you don't mind a lengthy walk and West Pass(which might be worth a dive once if the dredging is done - although a snorkel is probably all thats necessary).

The West Beach Paddlewheeler doesn't have as much relief scattered out as the Whiskey(close though), but it does have a large recognizable feature - which is the paddlewheel. One side is very intact, as is the shaft its on, the paddle on the otherside has withered to not much more than a hub. It has more vertical relief, no swim throughs though. Exposed metal and wood wreckage and the possibility for artifacts(mostly square brass nails and copper spikes). Visibility here will be either the same as at the Whiskey or slightly less usually.

Paul's shrimpboat is not much more than outriggers, nets, motor, I'm stupid, and for a short time a prop... The site isn't very large at all. Typically visibility here is much worse than the Whiskey and Paddlewheeler.

Ahh, I just love to dive, although, I wouldn't mind grabbing a nail or spike. :) I was told I could've found one at Whiskey, I wish I would've known to look for one.

Thanks,

Michael

SuPrBuGmAn:
West Pass(which might be worth a dive once if the dredging is done - although a snorkel is probably all thats necessary).
Thanks for the info. Which side of the pass do i swim from and about how far out is it?

You can either walk to the mouth of the pass(beachside) or at the beach access in the middle. I used to jump in(literally) midway(just south of the bridge) and swim to the jetties underneath the bridge on the west seawall. Check out the bridge pilings, the seawall, then swim across the channel, and check out the jetties near the access in the middle of the channel. Alot of the channel is very shallow right now, so I don't know how feasable my old profile would be today.

Mike - the Whiskey has been picked over pretty well. Not to say that there isn't artifacts left to be found, but that particular wreck is well known and dived frequently. Course, it is uncovering quite a bit :D

Back
Top Bottom