H valve type adapter?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not sure what this rant has to do with my original H valve adapter question. When I dive, I don't rely or count on my dive buddy or his equipment. That not to say that it can't be an advantage to have a buddy with you, but it can also be a liability.

Yes, a pony offers an extra first and second stage, but so does an H valve.

Regarding the instabuddy with no octo - isn't buddy breathing drilled into you during your pool sessions?

spacemanspiff1974:
Regarding the instabuddy with no octo - isn't buddy breathing drilled into you during your pool sessions?

I didn't have a problem with no octo. Yes, I know how to buddy breath.

If you will pay a little attention while you re-read the posts, you'll find out that the story I told was in response to Mattboy's suggestion that you 'should' be able to count on your buddy or the DM. That's why I quoted his statement in my post. I was illustrating why a diver might want to have a little more self-reliance. I'm on your side. I even spent a couple of hours here at work (don't tell my supervisor :wink: ) searching the web for the item you are looking for... Sorry I couldn't have been more help.

I don't know of any agency that still teaches buddy breathing for OW. Naui doesn't cover it until Rescue and then it is only an introduction and how-to. It makes sense. If I only had one reg I wouldn't want to give it to someone that was just out of air. They are probably still panicky so now I have to fight with them to get my reg back.

The only real redundancy an H valve offers is the first stage. I think the most common first stage failure is due to freezing. That doesn't sound like a big problem in Coz.. Unless redundancy solves a potential problem it is really just adding another failure point.

I would just get a set of twining straps (fit nearly all bcds) & use completly independent twins...you can't get safer than that!!

Can't beleive a dive centre let someone dive without back up reg....frightening!!!!

Have dive in Cozumel with Dressel divers...can't praise them enough...truly first rate outfit!!!

I would be curious about 1st stage failure rates that result in immediate loss of air in warm water. My guess is that if you have a reasonable approach to keeping your reg serviced, you are FAR less likely to have a 1st stage failure of this sort than you are to experience any one of many possible dangerous scenarios while diving, like heart attack, other sudden illness, severe narcosis, animal attack, current shift, being run down by an errant submarine, undersea alien abduction, whatever. Much more likely might be a 1st stage failure which results in uncontrolled free flow, in which case you could still safely surface in OW.

I understand we all want to dive safely, me too! I just am not too sure that redundant 1st stages would add measurably to your safety margin. There are many other safe diving practices which, of course, will.

With regards to the general topic of bad buddys and safety, I think we can agree that if we feel like the person and/or group we are diving with cannot be counted on to come to our aid if we were to need it, for whatever reason, then what we are essentially doing is solo diving. If you think of it that way, it raises alot of questions about how (or even if) you should go about the dive.

mattboy:
I would be curious about 1st stage failure rates that result in immediate loss of air in warm water.

I agree that a 'risk assessment' is in order. However, I just wanted to mention that a catastrophic failure of the first stage where no air is delivered to the second stage isn't unheard of:

http://www.ndc.noaa.gov/pdfs/sb05-01.pdf

Personally, I think the device the OP is looking for is going to have to introduce two extra o-rings, and the extra o-rings are probably a much higher risk than the 1st stage failure. Especially since A-clamp (versus DIN) valves are the norm on Coz.

However, I think that's for the OP to decide. Maybe he's doing some cenote diving, and his two regs are DIN. Then two of the three 0-rings are 'captive,' and the risk assessment is different...

Maybe you could use this valve from BEAVER?

DUAL OUTLET VALVE CV D 144

Tap section to be used to convert a left hand manifold section into a dual outlet valve for use with two regulators and a single cylinder.

MODULAR VALVE TAP SECTION FOR EN 144-1 NECKS

CV D 144
£43.00

See the atachment!

Attachments

• CV_D.jpg
    CV_D.jpg
    3 KB · Views: 38
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom