Hair Problems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hiya,

I completely understand! I have medium to long hair and when it gets in the way, it can be incredibly distracting and irritating. I have tried clips, ponytails, bandannas, and just about anything else that's been done. For me, I finally realized that braiding it (as tightly as I could) made for keeping it out of my face and not getting caught too much in my mask. Also, since a braid hangs low, you won't get pain or lack of a seal from the mask strap resting on a bun or the top of a ponytail.

But, the bandanna-type rags that are meant for diving are also great. I just happen to be of the mindset that the less I have to layer, the better. :)

Good luck on your first dives! Have fun and be safe!

I also have layers and use a smaller band to capture the hair towards the top of my head and a 2nd band to capture the longer hair....it's always worked for me.

I solved the problem neatly . . . I cut it all off :)

you and Laura Ingram, I think she looks so cute.

I like the henderson vested hood and slick it back with conditioner because then you can just rinse it and go. I do get the "something about mary" jokes on the boat though. Ugh.

I have long hair, and have the same probs :)

I have several tips..

- Ignore it.
- A hood
- A bandana

:)

Z...

catherine96821:
you and Laura Ingram, I think she looks so cute.

I like the henderson vested hood and slick it back with conditioner because then you can just rinse it and go. I do get the "something about mary" jokes on the boat though. Ugh.

I still say its the Demi Moore look ala G.I. Jane...:D

Hi Sarah ~ I don't have long hair, but I still wear a dive hood and it works great! I wear it all the time and don't have any problems with the "little strands." Good luck!

Swapping out the original mask strap for a neoprene one (or using a neoprene mask strap wrapper) really helps me. Traditional straps pull at my hair...and pull strands out of my pony tail.

Best wishes!
Trish

I sometimes use a "dee rag", purchased from dee on this board. It's great to keep the stray hairs down. You can also try a really thin hood - I have one of those too, but I don't like the strap under my chin - feels too confining on my neck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom