Hair Problems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have waist-length hair, fairly well-layered at the sides and this is how I cope:
1) LOTS of conditioner through hair before I dive. Good for the hair, and stops all the little flyaways all round my hairline too.
2) Hair in 2 braids. I get teased about the Pippi Longstockings thing, but that's okay, LOL.
3) Neoprene mask strap.
4) A bandanna, when I feel like it or when the dive is gonna be cold. This is very much optional for me.

When my hair wasn't as layered, I'd french braid it and tuck the braid inside my wetsuit.

I've been thinking about a hood, but haven't decided if I'd like one yet. Hope this helps!

I also have mid long hair and had problems on my first dives
and yes Smokegrey your suggestions are right.
I also put my hair in 2 braids, put on a hood and put in the conditioner, but the Bandana is probaly also a good idea.
Thanks for the tip, I will use it on our diving trip next month

Most of the time I wear a hood. (It keeps the hair out of my face and helps to keep my head warm). If I don't wear one, I pull my hair back into a tight ponytail and use hair clips with little claws on them to hold down my stray hairs.

i have this problem too and have been recommended a bandana type cover. It would also help me as I am very prone to sunburn. I wear a yachting cap when snorkelling but this would not work for diving.

Hmmm... I had the same issue. First and foremost, trading that rubbery materials mask strap for a neoprene does wonders. I loved it.

I'm wondering, though. So I don't have to invest money in a divehood when I don't need one yet, could I use a neoprene swim cap, providing it's not too tight? Obviously that rubbery-spandex material is out, as it will entangle your hair and probably squeeze your brain to death when you descend (or maybe I'm being overdramatic, but I don't feel like testing this theory). But Neoprene... the absolute worst thing that happens is you get a Dork Band around your forehead, right?

:11doh: Or at least I *think* the material I'm thinking of is neoprene. It's pretty much the material that's used for swim suits, is what I'm thinking of.

Go to your local fabric store and buy a square of spandex material (swim suit material). When you get home, fold it into a triangle and cut. You now have two "scarves". Braid hair into one pigtail. Fold about 2" in the front and tie scarf around head with first knot under the pigtail. TIGHT! Bring both ends around to the front and on top of the scarf tail and tie a square knot. Once you put on your mask, fold the 2" in the front down over your mask rim. I have also found that while holding your mask on the "giant leap" hold the top of your "rag".

Of course, there are always the aforermentioned Dee-Rags....http://dee-rags.com/ See my "Pixie Fish" on in my avatar?

Back
Top Bottom