Halcyon BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BENBOLCH

Reaction score
I am considering a Halcyon 36 lb. Pioneer BC with ABC. I wonder if anyone will give me some advice either pro or con. I have had stability problems with my Scubapro back-inflated BC ( not to mention tank slippage with its single band retainer). Is the Halycon is more stable? Is the difference enough to merit a change.

Many thanks. Ben

BENBOLCH wrote
I have had stability problems with my Scubapro back-inflated BC ( not to mention tank slippage with its single band retainer). Is the Halycon is more stable? Is the difference enough to merit a change.
I have the two-piece SS buckles on my Halcyon Pioneer wing. As long as I wet the bands beforehand and take care to tighten, I've never had the slightest bit of tank instability.

Whether that alone is enough reason to change, only you can say.

But there are all those other backplate advantages to consider....

Pro!

This is a great "BC". If you want a system that feels like its glued to your back (aka rock solid) this is it. I've been through a number of other systems and this one totally helped me dial in my trim and comfort.

A must buy.

OK - Kidding.

Just got one - love it. Read on - you'll find a thousand posts and threads extolling the virtues.

And quite a few that tell you how much it sucks.

PS: welcome to the board!

BENBOLCH once bubbled...
I am considering a Halcyon 36 lb. Pioneer BC with ABC. I wonder if anyone will give me some advice either pro or con. I have had stability problems with my Scubapro back-inflated BC ( not to mention tank slippage with its single band retainer). Is the Halycon is more stable? Is the difference enough to merit a change.
The Halcyon Pioneer 37# + ABC is exactly what I bought, and I have definitely enjoyed diving with it so far (4 dives since I picked it up Friday). I only have rental jacket BCs to "compare" the BP/wing to and there is just no comparison. I have not yet experienced any tank slippage, and I have not wetted my straps before putting the tank on. I do make sure they're as tight as I can get them, though. The thing I like the most is that I don't have the problem I had in the rental BCs of the tank/BC "flopping" around on me in the water. I quite frankly don't even know the Halcyon is there while I'm diving, it is that stable on my back.

I am a new diver (25 dives), and the Halcyon was my first (and most likely last) BC purchase. I would suggest that you find a shop (or someone you know that has one) and demo one for a couple dives if you are not yet certain. This might save you some cash if you buy it, and for some reason don't like it. I think you won't regret it, but it's your money, not mine. :)

Jimmie

BENBOLCH once bubbled...

Many thanks. Ben

Just curious,which scubapro bc are you currently using.

I dont think you will regret buying a hacyon BP/Wing.I dive the pioneer 36lb wing.Just make sure you wet the tank bands before you tighten them.After you tighten them, wait a few minutes then readjust and tighten again.That tank will be held solid as a rock.:D

Probably one of the most important things is to get a proper fit.See below for instructions on that.It even has pictures.It was a great help in setting mine up.

http://www.baue.org/images/galleries/view_album.php?set_albumName=equipment

lal7176 once bubbled...

Just curious,which scubapro bc are you currently using.

I dont think you will regret buying a hacyon BP/Wing.I dive the pioneer 36lb wing.Just make sure you wet the tank bands before you tighten them.After you tighten them, wait a few minutes then readjust and tighten again.That tank will be held solid as a rock.:D

Probably one of the most important things is to get a proper fit.See below for instructions on that.It even has pictures.It was a great help in setting mine up.

http://www.baue.org/images/galleries/view_album.php?set_albumName=equipment

Hi guys

I have dived in rented Halycon BP/Wing before (4 dives only :D) but I have never wet my tank band before the dive and neither have I seen my friends doing it.

Just curious. Is it a must to wet the tank bands before tighten them :confused: and Why do you do that ? Is it becos it is brand new or it is a must do kind of thing.

Can someone please enlighten me :stupid:

Thanks in advance
:newbie:

if you tighten them dry, your tank will get loose and might even fall out.

Most fabric will stretch when wet. Try wearing a sweater in the pool :wink:.

Pre wetting tank bands will allow them to stretch a little when you tighten them up so they don't stretch when you start diving.

It doesn't usually make a huge difference but it doesn't take much effort. Your call.

IMHO a 30lb Eclipse wing should be a good option for a single tank diving:
it is a more rugged one than the Pioneer (double bag).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom