Halcyon files for "DIR" Registered Trademark

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sharpenu once bubbled...
...but when an equipment manufacturer is that closely involved in a training agency which writes gear specifications, it is hard to take that training agency seriously.
You could look at it the other way, with the equipment manfacturer making gear to fit an agency's specifications.

Haven't done DIR-F, fully intend to get around to it one day, I don't see any problem with the relationship between GUE and Halcyon. Halcyon are probably just protecting their turf given that companies like OMS are branding their gear "GUE compliant".

C'mon, Halcyon isn't the Red Cross - they're a business. People seem to put them up on this pedastal that they should be some holistic charity making perfect gear and no profit. No-one doing DIR-F reviews comes back to ScubaBoard and reports on how they were chewed out for having non-Halcyon gear.

so i guess if padi or naui or ssi came out with their own bp/w
and other gear you would boycott them too . what a crock seems like everyone wants to get on the DIR bashing bandwagon

sharpenu once bubbled...
Don't flame me for this, but how can one expect to be taken seriously as a training agency when you are teaching a course that specifies a certain gear configuration, when you have such an obvious conflict of interest?

There are quite a few companies now making DIR equipment.

When GUE started, that wasn't the case. Much of the early equipment was custom made, often hand formed.

Jarrod couldn't very well specify equipment that didn't exist, could he?

I got an email a little while ago that insisted DIR actually meant "Dive Inspiration Rebreathers". I doubt that slogan would have come about if GUE didn't exist.

If you had started a company under such conditions and it was doing well, would you let one of it's birthmarks be misused? Would you shut it down now that other companies are cloning the equipment? I would not and I suspect you would not either.

I am not saying that Halcyon is to blame, I am just saying that DIR appears to be nothing but an advertising campaign for Halcyon. Good business, yes. but dont mistake good business for a training agency that cares about safety or the best way of doing things.

I have seen my LDS do the same thing. The owner of said LDS tells us that we cant teach a class, or even be an (unpaid) assistant instructor, unless we only wear the gear that the shop sells. What if, at the same time, the LDS told the students that the only way to dive safely was to wear gear that fit the following specifications:

Then, the LDS goes on to write said specifications to be so restirctive as to virtually exclude all others? Could you say that the LDS had profit or good training as their true motive?

Let's not treat DIR as the religion I have seen it elevated to by some. Instead of blindly following some advertising gimmick as the only way to "Do It Right", use it as a basis to THINK FOR YOURSELF and maybe come up with a better way. Remember, no one has all of the answers. Anyone who tells you they do, just hasn't heard all of the questions...

sharpenu once bubbled...

....Then, the LDS goes on to write said specifications to be so restirctive as to virtually exclude all others? Could you say that the LDS had profit or good training as their true motive?

Under the DIR-F or any other GUE class, is there any equipment requirement that can only be meet by Halcyon?

I'm not DIR, although I may be someday. It seems to me a lot of people have an agenda to bash Halcyon and DIR, facts not withstanding.

So I was thinking, anyway - could I set up a completely DIR gear configuration, using nothing by Halcyon? I believe I could. Maybe someone who's a little more proficient can help me out.

Wing - Oxycheq.
SPG - OMS.
Backplate - anyone.
HID - Stealth, Sartek, DiveRite, etc.
Backup lights - Oxycheq again.
Etc. etc. etc.

Then, the LDS goes on to write said specifications to be so restirctive as to virtually exclude all others? Could you say that the LDS had profit or good training as their true motive?

OK Sharpenu - you were the one who complained about DIR setting up a market for Halcyon gear. Name one - just a single one product which ensures DIR compliance that ONLY Halcyon makes.

Go ahead - the challenge has been issued. Or admit you're reacting emotionally, not logically.

i don't know what y'all are excited about - a turd by any other name still smells like S.... i think y'all pissed YOU didn't do it.
or maybe it's like the catholics just trademarked 'jesus christ'.

Now it's interesting to know .. but it's business and business is business .. all about protection and ensuring that your business survives.

But seriously will it stop us diving, using some, all or none of the DIR methods? I doubt it and if it does then I wonder about your commitment to your enjoyment if some law suit/application in another country would change your diving style.

I would assume that this is more intended for other companies to ensure that the quality of DIR equipment is mantained.

Either way it will not stop me diving or believing Halcyon make good gear.

Boogie711 once bubbled...
...Name one - just a single one product which ensures DIR compliance that ONLY Halcyon makes.

Go ahead - the challenge has been issued. Or admit you're reacting emotionally, not logically.

What about a 2inch crotch strap? ... hahahaha ... was too tempting (yes yes I know anyone can make it... I just remember DiveRite only has a 1inch :-(

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom