Halcyon files for "DIR" Registered Trademark

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good for JJ!

Now he can start protecting his gear just like other SCUBA manufacturers do.

Until people start flunking GUE classes because they're not wearing Halcyon gear (never happen), give it a rest folks.

Roak

roakey once bubbled...
Good for JJ!

Now he can start protecting his gear just like other SCUBA manufacturers do.

Until people start flunking GUE classes because they're not wearing Halcyon gear (never happen), give it a rest folks.

Roak

Hear Hear .... Roakey is right, JJ just doing what needs to be done, to ensure that we can all dive safe inthe future.

Maybe a dumb and already answered question but...can DIR-F be completed with a jacket style BCD

divemed06 once bubbled...
Maybe a dumb and already answered question but...can DIR-F be completed with a jacket style BCD

No. DIR-F is now a certification course.. to "complete" it you need a real, honest to goodness DIR configuration.

Uncle Pug,

Now there's a slight if I've ever seen one before.

What's wrong with making a choice based upon how I "feel" about something?

Was that slight necessary?

Uncle Pug once bubbled...

Some folks make decisions based on rational thought and some folks are more inclined to let their emotions rule.

I don't think most of the folks who are ruled by their emotions would find GUE training to their liking.

I think you have made a wise choice.

So far, it was minimalized to Uncle Pug intimating I make decsions based upon emotion. I can live with that, after all, I do make most of my decisions based upon how I feel about something.

Don Burke considered my post the "Rantings of a madman" well, I can live with that too. I'm sure in many circles, I probably even LOOK like a madman!

Stephen Ash liked my comment where I said "what in the name of Zeus's butthole" and wants to know where I come up with this stuff?

The Answer; Hell if I know! It just pops into my head. Usually makes me laugh though. and yes, per your request, I will "keep it coming, man"!

Seriously,

In essence, the DIR patent which will resort to the use of equipment configs made by other than Halcyon will not be DIR. (Doing it right) So, in essence, using a dive-rite with tec wings will either be "DIW" (Doing It Wrong) or a Patent or copywrite infringement.

Of course, the Halcyon rig owning DIR crowd are crowing BRAVO! about this, there's a big surprise.

Am I boycotting DIR or GUE? Well, that would be pointless. Is JJ trying to show the world a BETTER way of diving or is his "Agency" nothing more than a "Sopranos" approach to pushing Halcyon? "Hey, Tony, Guido, that DIR guy over there's BP with Wings doesn't say Halcyon, why don't you and the boys take him around back and "explain it to him", yeah?" *Thugs reply* "Yes, Mr. Jablonski".

How can JJ patent DIR as his OWN when much of his incorporated teachings existed well before JJ came up with Halsyon, GUE and DIR, they are Hogarthian, are they not? NAUI TECH even has thier own concepts of Hogarthian idealisms in tech diving configuration. I am sure many other agencies do to. So, I suppose they will all be DIW too?

I can almost see next weeks OWN subforum, "DIR -v- The World".

JJ is not patenting anything new! This is stuff that is in large, a hodge podge of other people's innovations combined into JJ's concept of (I presume) what a safer, better skilled diver should not only learn, but practice, ok, great! No problem there! In fact, I think that's pretty smart! He started an agency POST GUE (where he could make and sell gear that fits this genre) to promote concepts he firmly believes in. Ok, great! That I can believe in and even feel inspired to adopt. But to then patent these concepts as hiw own is only standing on the tails of the great men before him who actually thought these gear and skill concepts up.

By all means JJ should patent his particular equipment innovations! Patent GUE, his agency! but to patent "Doing it right", the phrase it's self? How arrogant.

Ya know, maybe I will go ahead and take the DIR-F class, if nothing else, I'll be incorporating those diciplens into my own dive style. But to be forced to use Halcyon to be DIR or to take the class (I'm presuming GUE will insist on Halcyon EVERYTHING), that's a crock!

Yes, Mr. Jones, may I have another glass? :kicker:
:spaninq:

GQMedic once bubbled...

Ya know, maybe I will go ahead and take the DIR-F class, if nothing else, I'll be incorporating those diciplens into my own dive style. But to be forced to use Halcyon to be DIR or to take the class (I'm presuming GUE will insist on Halcyon EVERYTHING), that's a crock!

:spaninq: [/B]

I'll bet your presumption is incorrect........

GQMedic once bubbled...

:spaninq:

You don't need to own a single piece of Halcyon gear to take and pass the class.

A Koplin backplate, an Oxycheq wing, 7 foot primary/22-24" backup, spg on a short hose clipped to your side, whatever exposure protection you want, a mask, and some stiff fins like Jets or Quattros. That's all the equipment you need. Your DIRF instructor won't give a hoot. I don't have the DIRF book either, but I hear JJ goes to great lengths not to say "brand XX is the DIR xx" and instead points out features you want and features you don't want in each piece of gear.

Halcyon doesn't make *anything* that you can't find elsewhere.. except maybe the reels. I hear they're pretty darn nifty, but I've never even seen one.

Oh, BTW, there's one hell of a big difference between a PATENT and a TRADEMARK. Look them up.

The gear, as far as I know the DIR people are correct. You could walk into a DIR-F course with not one piece of Halcyon gear and pass the course if your skills were good enough.

I question the right to copyright the name for skills that according to everyone that I read "are in the basic open water manuals" and never pushed. You just said it. These skills have been with us for years. As far as I know, many of these skills are done in very similar manner once you get into cave diving, wreck penetration, etc.... There ARE only so many ways to do that type of thing safely. And many of these skills are universally required for extreme diving. What does this mean to the other agencies teaching cave diving and the like?

Charlie99 once bubbled...
the same way that anybody can go to a DIR-F class and instantly become a DIR expert on Scubaboard.

Since when do you have to take DIR-F to become a DIR expert on Scubaboard?:rolleyes:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom