Halcyon inflator ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LG Diver

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey all,

I'm new to the forum, so I'll start by saying thanks for all the tremendous information that's available here. I've done some searches but can't seem to get a clear answer on this question- I apologize if it's been covered.

I'm considering a Halcyon Eclipse 40, but I've read about reliability issues with the SS inflator sticking/leaking. My LDS says that these issues were all pre-recall and that they've been addressed and the new inflator design is now reliable, but I seem to hear comments here that even the new post-recall inflators are prone to leakage. I know that a replacement inflator is only ~$30 but it's a major turnoff if I've got to start replacing bits on a brand-new $600 bp/w to make it reliable. From those that have Halcyon SS inflators- what's the scoop on these?

Thanks,
John

I, and a lot of others I know, dive the Halcyon Eclipse, and have never had a single leak, or problem of any kind. Ant we dive the hell out of them!! Im pretty sure they fixed the problem! Besides that, Halcyon will stand behind what they make. So no worries!

dbg40:
Besides that, Halcyon will stand behind what they make. So no worries!

They will stand behind the power inflator only if you pay for the super-duper upgrade inflator. If you buy the 'standard' inflator you're on your own when it fails.

That caveat aside, I have a 55# explorer and love it. I also have a different companies inflator on it though. YMMV

FD

Halcyon will stand behind what they sell. If it fails, they will make it good. There is no need to upgrade for them to honor their product. There were a FIEW problems with the earlier inflators, and they voluntarily recalled all of them, and made the exchange at no cost to the buyer. John, if you have any questions, call Halcyon directly, and they will answer your questions. They could'nt be nicer, and I have never known them to be underhanded in their dealings with a customer. They continue to be one of the best in the business.

If you were to order a regular eclipse from halcyon today you wouldnt get the ss inflator. First, they dont make the SS inflator anymore, and all there wings ship with standary plastic inflators (except that the oral inflate is on the same side of the bottons) Second, you can upgarde to a new nickel plated brass (I think that is what it is) inflator for a bit more.

Ill post pictures of the different ones in a minute.

Regards,

dbg40:
Halcyon will stand behind what they make. So no worries!

i wish... i had to pay $46.00 for a new inflator when mine failed

I had my SS inflator recalled. I had it replaced. I have been diving disconnected for a year because now the other end of the connector on the hose is stripped, or leaking bubbles. I love the BC otherwise, but I am bugged. I guess I need to send it off again. I have had a lot of advice to use WD40 and clean it out. I would, but now my problem is the other connection, the proximal one. I am going to get a new hose from Ken, Mo2tivation. It is an issue but now, they are using the plastic which is not sexy looking.

And I have seen a guy pinned to the ceiling in a cave....maybe halcyon will offer me free shipping.

dbg40:
Halcyon will stand behind what they sell. If it fails, they will make it good. There is no need to upgrade for them to honor their product. There were a FIEW problems with the earlier inflators, and they voluntarily recalled all of them, and made the exchange at no cost to the buyer. John, if you have any questions, call Halcyon directly, and they will answer your questions. They could'nt be nicer, and I have never known them to be underhanded in their dealings with a customer. They continue to be one of the best in the business.

Thanks for the reply. Your experience with Halcyon customer service correlates with what my lds says. However, my question isn't so much whether I'll get my inflator fixed if it leaks, but whether I should reasonably be concerned that it will leak in the first place. Given my level of diving (in)experience, it's not a great comfort to me to know that if my inflator start to suddenly leak air into my bcd at depth that I'll get a new one for free if I make it back uninjured. Sure, I'm probably overdramatizing, but it's not exactly the kind of thought I want to have in the back of my mind about a piece of equipment I just shelled this kind of money out for.

LG Diver:
Given my level of diving (in)experience, it's not a great comfort
to me to know that if my inflator start to suddenly leak air into my bcd at depth
that I'll get a new one for free if I make it back uninjured.

for future reference, if this should happen, inmediately disconnect the
inflator hose and determine whether you can safely continue the dive.

you can orally inflate the bc as needed, but i would suggest terminating the dive
at that point, given your level of experience.

Mat4020:
If you were to order a regular eclipse from halcyon today you wouldnt get the ss inflator. First, they dont make the SS inflator anymore, and all there wings ship with standary plastic inflators (except that the oral inflate is on the same side of the bottons) Second, you can upgarde to a new nickel plated brass (I think that is what it is) inflator for a bit more.

Ill post pictures of the different ones in a minute.

Regards,

OK- maybe I'm misinformed, but I was looking at a new Eclipse 40 at my LDS and it has what look like SS buttons on the inflator. Are you saying that these are a different animal altogether from the SS inflators that were recalled? The Halcyon website lists the "Precision inflator" (nickel plated brass) as an upgrade, so I'd doubt if this is what's on the one at my lds.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom