Halcyon inflator ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kidspot:
fwiw - My explorer wing with SS inflator had 2 dives on it when it started sticking (post recall inflator) I contacted my LDS, they called Halcyon and were told that it needed to be dissasembled, lubed and reassembled. I had the option of sending it in to them or doing it myself... I did it myself. I like the inflator's speed, but for a product to arrive needing servicing did not leave a good impression of them.

My Pioneer started doing the same thing after about 60 dives - I took it apart and cleaned it all in a vinegar solution, neutralized, lubed and reassembled - works fine now. From now on I'll probably just service the inflator buttons every 30-40 dives.

Aloha, Tim
Or you could just buy a cheapo plastic one like the one on my SeaQuest ProQD that is still going strong after 300+ dives.

Diving with an inflator that you know is prone to fail and stick doesn't sound very DIR, even with an H logo on it. :)

I prefer companies that have reliable products rather than companies that do a good job at customer service after they have sent out a product with a defective design, then replaced it with a revised version that dies after 2 dives and needs frequent servicing.

Charlie99:
I prefer companies that have reliable products rather than companies that do a good job at customer service after they have sent out a product with a defective design, then replaced it with a revised version that dies after 2 dives and needs frequent servicing.

I'd second that sentiment. I was reading their web site and they make much of their vertical integration and quality control. This was interesting:

"Everything, from each yard of fabric in a wing down to the bolt snap that goes on a Defender spool, is inspected by the QC staff before it is entered into inventory....

From production, everything goes back into quality control. Our QC inspectors fully inflate every bladder for 24 hours to test integrity. Every Helios, Proteus, and Scout light is pressure tested to 300 feet/91 meters before it is shipped. Only after each item passes this final inspection is it cleared to move into finished inventory to be shipped around the world."

If you work in manufacturing, you know that QC (even 100% QC) is a very poor way to catch defects. JIT, Poka Yoke and correct product design are your primary assurances of quality. But on the other hand 100% QC does impress the punters :)

If you buy the Halcyon wing with a stainless steel inflator and want a plastic inflator, I wil swap you a brand, new never wet plastic inflator for your stainless one - I'll even kick in the postage.

Jackie

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom