Halcyon, Xdeep, OMS, Audaxpro, Aquatec, DGX - value & longevity?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

just buy a generic plate/harness off aliexpress and the oms mono wing separately. should be under 400 USD that way and you don't have to deal with shipping/importing the DGX (unless if you can pick it up while back in the US or have someone bring it to you)

That does seem like a cheap option... just wondering if I'm sacrificing any quality, or is it all just bells and whistles? If I'm going to go cheap, why not just buy a local brand like Aquatec with local support, service, fitting, complete? Thanks for the link - I have bought several things from that local retailer at their store.

I run Halcyon wings/plates but if I was in the market I would get the DGX wing/plate combo. My buddy is running that setup and it's been great. There is no compromise in quality at all IMO.
The DGX combo does seem like a great option - if I was in the states now I would probably get that, just not sure how much import duties would cost, might make it not such a good deal. I'm probably going back to the states in November but I'm hoping to dive every weekend and would like to have something ASAP. Thanks!

I don't think GUE require this at all. Not even close. You can use DR, XDeep, Oxycheq ...

I have Halcyon myself, but I didn't pay retail. Halcyon is for sure high quality, even down to the very polished fit and finish. Sure these don't do anything for diving, but I do enjoy the workmanship
I am tempted to get the Halcyon as I only hear good things about their quality and service, and they seem to be popular here too, just a small part of me wondering if I'm wasting money on a brand...some on the forums have said just that. If someone were to tell me that it was more comfortable, reliable, durable, fit better than any other brand, I would gladly just buy it and stop thinking! I can afford it, just don't like wasting money.

I am tempted to get the Halcyon as I only hear good things about their quality and service, and they seem to be popular here too, just a small part of me wondering if I'm wasting money on a brand...some on the forums have said just that. If someone were to tell me that it was more comfortable, reliable, durable, fit better than any other brand, I would gladly just buy it and stop thinking! I can afford it, just don't like wasting money.

I have a Halcyon Traveler Pro 20, 30, and Evolve 40 wings. Have multiple Halcyon SS/AL backplates, Regulators, DSMBs, and on. I love my H gear.

IMO it is comfortable, reliable, durable, and fits great. It's worth the price to me.

That said I don't think it's necessarily better than some of the other options. There are lots of great companies making high-quality gear these days that check all your boxes.

I have a Halcyon Traveler Pro 20, 30, and Evolve 40 wings. Have multiple Halcyon SS/AL backplates, Regulators, DSMBs, and on. I love my H gear.

IMO it is comfortable, reliable, durable, and fits great. It's worth the price to me.

That said I don't think it's necessarily better than some of the other options. There are lots of great companies making high-quality gear these days that check all your boxes.
I'm just getting a little fatigued with all the various options and price levels, so part of me is thinking of just paying for the Halcyon and getting it over with, lol. What made you choose the Traveler Pro? I plan on traveling for at least a dive trip or two annually, but figure most of my diving would be local here in Northern Taiwan - do you think it's a good option for all around use vs. the Infinity? Are there any drawbacks to it? Thanks again!

I'm just getting a little fatigued with all the various options and price levels, so part of me is thinking of just paying for the Halcyon and getting it over with, lol. What made you choose the Traveler Pro? I plan on traveling for at least a dive trip or two annually, but figure most of my diving would be local here in Northern Taiwan - do you think it's a good option for all around use vs. the Infinity? Are there any drawbacks to it? Thanks again!
I went with the Traveler Pro just to have the option to run without STA on those trips where luggage weight is an issue. Puddle jumpers in Indonesia etc...

That said, I run the STA 95% of the time. I prefer it.

The Traveler Pro requires either a plate with built-in stabilizers like their carbon plates or another option. In my case, I sewed up a simple solution that works great. Link

I'd be perfectly happy with the Infinity (Eclipse Wing).

I went with the Traveler Pro just to have the option to run without STA on those trips where luggage weight is an issue. Puddle jumpers in Indonesia etc...

That said, I run the STA 95% of the time. I prefer it.

The Traveler Pro requires either a plate with built-in stabilizers like their carbon plates or another option. In my case, I sewed up a simple solution that works great. Link

I'd be perfectly happy with the Infinity (Eclipse Wing).
Thanks for the explanation - looks like you sewed up a great solution! I also saw they have the Adventurer Plus that has the carbon fiber plate which doesn't require the STA...not sure what advantages it has over the Infinity other than weight, and if it has any disadvantages...decisions, decisions...

Thanks for the explanation - looks like you sewed up a great solution! I also saw they have the Adventurer Plus that has the carbon fiber plate which doesn't require the STA...not sure what advantages it has over the Infinity other than weight, and if it has any disadvantages...decisions, decisions...
I say the only difference is weight. I have silly light Helium Dive full titanium plate/harness/STA/cam strap set, but it only gets used on those extreme trips.
5lbs 5oz total including wing.

Im typically running a SS plate with an 20/30lb wing. I like and want that weight if I can have it.

If I had one set it would be a SS plate with a 30lb wing.

I have had Dive rite, oxycheq, hog, halcyon along the years. I would say this. Absolute quality/workmanship measure, Halcyon is definite at the top. No other commercial brand put the same attention to details. However not necessary all of these workmanship translate to functionality, in fact most do not. But people don't need to always buy for practical functionality. You have to decide if this is important to you.

Service wise, Halcyon is also top notch. I would say HOG, Deep6 and dive rite are also practical good. But Halcyon experience is more premium.

There are two items that I do think Halcyon is practically better as well. First is their H webbing. It is the perfect amount of stiffness and pliability. And it isn't expansive. Second item is their wing. Both the shell and bladder are very pliable and foldable. Yet, they are very tough. It makes a perfect packable wing for travel.

My suggestion is this. If cost effectiveness is important, get the DGX setup, or maybe HOG. If you do blind test in water, you won't be able to the difference. You can test bp/w to see if that is what you like. Heck, test out diving to see if that is what you like after one season. If you end committing to diving and still fancy after Halcyon workmanship, then you can get one.

Between SS and AL plate, if I can have only one plate, it is AL. The weight difference is about 3lb. You can easily make it up. AL is easier for travel.

I say the only difference is weight. I have silly light Helium Dive full titanium plate/harness/STA/cam strap set, but it only gets used on those extreme trips.
5lbs 5oz total including wing.

Im typically running a SS plate with an 20/30lb wing. I like and want that weight if I can have it.

If I had one set it would be a SS plate with a 30lb wing.
Thanks for the info - as I'm unlikely to do any cold weather diving any time soon I think an AL plate will probably be heavy enough. I found the below prices for the Halcyon BCD's:

Adventurer Pro (some places call it Adventure Pro or Adventurer Plus) - $1150 3.2 kg weight (doesn't require STA)
Infinity
- $1125 4.5kg weight
Traveler Pro
(I heard this has been discontinued,) and a shop here has the last one on clearance for $835 3.5kg weight

Which one would you guys pick? Are the first 2 worth $300 more than the Traveler Pro? If so, is the Adventurer a better all around pick for a few dive trips a year, at almost the same price as the Infinity?

Back
Top Bottom