Halcyon, Xdeep, OMS, Audaxpro, Aquatec, DGX - value & longevity?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm meeting someone to see a Dive Rite Transpac XT tomorrow, supposedly lightly used with only about 10 dives, the scuba instructor is selling it after getting it from a student who upgraded after only a few dives with it, and she told me his approximate weight and height and it's right around where I am. She said she used it a few times but didn't get a great fit so was thinking of selling it but is fine with keeping it also as it's a good BCD. It's about $450...I see new ones sell for around $800. I see some good reviews for it, any reasons not to get it? I heard the soft plate is comfortable but not sure if I should stick with a Al or Steel plate instead.

I would say go to a plate and simple harness. The only real thing you are getting is quick adjustability. And what wing are you getting? This is important, not all dive rite wings are well design.

I'd also keep it simple. Rigid plate and basic harness.

I would say go to a plate and simple harness. The only real thing you are getting is quick adjustability. And what wing are you getting? This is important, not all dive rite wings are well design.
Not sure which wing - her listing details actually were for the Travelpac with 25 pounds lift - looked like she copied and pasted the details from a retailer, but her photo of the BCD were definitely of the Transpac XT. i don't think she even knows, as I asked her what size harness and she said it was one size fits all...not according to Dive Rite's website.

I'd also keep it simple. Rigid plate and basic harness.
Thanks, just finding it hard to justify the Halcyon premium for my needs, so been looking at the ridiculous wealth of options. The Deep6 looked basic enough and good, but the shop didn't have it in stock (on order), so let me try on a customer's old one to see how it fit. The bladder in it was punctured and somehow they couldn't find the right glue or patch to repair it:rolleyes:...so that wasn't confidence inspiring in getting it thru them.

How are the Hollis BCD's? I see they are priced competitively here, and saw some good reviews for the Hollis ST. Probably about $700 here. I also see HOG for around $500 here, and had rented one with a missing crotch strap last time.

Here’s a photo of it, based on that photo and comparing to the Dive Rite website, I think it’s the Voyager because it has their “Gusset Control System”, which is not quite a bungee:

So it would appear to be a 35lb wing.

Attachments

• IMG_3353.png
    IMG_3353.png
    278.1 KB · Views: 39
Thanks, just finding it hard to justify the Halcyon premium for my needs, so been looking at the ridiculous wealth of options. The Deep6 looked basic enough and good, but the shop didn't have it in stock (on order), so let me try on a customer's old one to see how it fit. The bladder in it was punctured and somehow they couldn't find the right glue or patch to repair it:rolleyes:...so that wasn't confidence inspiring in getting it thru them.

How are the Hollis BCD's? I see they are priced competitively here, and saw some good reviews for the Hollis ST. Probably about $700 here. I also see HOG for around $500 here, and had rented one with a missing crotch strap last time.

then don't buy Halycon. Any backplate is basically the same. Harness is simple piece of webbing, $15. Then it is the d-ring and guild. Many mention DGX setup, it is heck of a deal, best bang for the bug setup.

And please don't buy Hollis unless you see deep discount. Their stuffs are just average in quality, but they want to market as high end stuffs with high end price. It is definitely not worth the money. Hollis ST is basically same price is Halcyon Eclipse. If you are spending that much, might as well get Halcyon. At least when you sell, you get your money back. Hollis, you are lucky to find a buyer. I know I sound negative, but I have been burned with Hollis experience a couple of times, regulator and canister lights, so no more from me.

But one thing to keep in mind, brand name stuffs, they are not making much of different in water. And no matter how nice they look new, after a few years of dives, they all look kind of messed. Diving environment is just a high wear environment. If cost effectiveness is one criterial, then don't worry about top brands, get DGX, HOG, Deep6,... more cast effective brands.

Here’s a photo of it, based on that photo and comparing to the Dive Rite website, I think it’s the Voyager because it has their “Gusset Control System”, which is not quite a bungee:

So it would appear to be a 35lb wing.
I don't own one, but I have some experience with this gen of DR wing. They are well made and good quality. For this specific model, I don't like the shape, and I don't like the bungge gusset control. I sitll like the DGX wing better, it is the same design/material as Oxycheq, super tough, very narrow, very low profile. The only thing I didn't like my Oxycheq wing is it is too tough/too thick, make it very hard to pack for travel.

then don't buy Halycon. Any backplate is basically the same. Harness is simple piece of webbing, $15. Then it is the d-ring and guild. Many mention DGX setup, it is heck of a deal, best bang for the bug setup.

And please don't buy Hollis unless you see deep discount. Their stuffs are just average in quality, but they want to market as high end stuffs with high end price. It is definitely not worth the money. Hollis ST is basically same price is Halcyon Eclipse. If you are spending that much, might as well get Halcyon. At least when you sell, you get your money back. Hollis, you are lucky to find a buyer. I know I sound negative, but I have been burned with Hollis experience a couple of times, regulator and canister lights, so no more from me.

But one thing to keep in mind, brand name stuffs, they are not making much of different in water. And no matter how nice they look new, after a few years of dives, they all look kind of messed. Diving environment is just a high wear environment. If cost effectiveness is one criterial, then don't worry about top brands, get DGX, HOG, Deep6,... more cast effective brands.

Got it, will avoid the Hollis then. I am leaning towards those other brands. Thanks.

I don't own one, but I have some experience with this gen of DR wing. They are well made and good quality. For this specific model, I don't like the shape, and I don't like the bungge gusset control. I sitll like the DGX wing better, it is the same design/material as Oxycheq, super tough, very narrow, very low profile. The only thing I didn't like my Oxycheq wing is it is too tough/too thick, make it very hard to pack for travel.

What don’t you like about the DR’s shape and the gusset control?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom