HalcyonExplorer/DiveRightsuperwing Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ElectricZombie once bubbled...
You should not have to use the suit for bouyancy, just add enough air to eleviate the squeeze. Without using the suit for bouyancy and with a total wing failure, the rig should still be swimmable.

This is a good theory for OW where you can point yourself streight up and don't have any stops. However if you use double 104's and have stops or you have to trave for a thousand feet or so horizontally to get out of a cave you aren't doing it without a way to get neutral. Now add decompression gas, lights and reels. Just the weight of the gas you carry is enough to make you very heavy even if your neutral with empty tanks.

daylight once bubbled...
Attempting to exit a cave for any distance just using a drysuit for buoyancy control would be very stressful. However, having a redundant wing simplifies this without adding complexity. I didn't like the OMS double bladder wing so I just use two single wings for redundancy.

Now i know why i never took up cave diving besides the fact there are no caves around here :D This is a interesting subject and am curious to what other overhead divers use as far as double single bladder wings, double bladder wings, and those with single bladder wings what is your method if you lose a wing deep back inside of a cave and have mandatory deco on top of that.Dont respond by saying,"put your head between you legs and kiss your butt good bye" :D Just kidding!!

I use a Halcyon Explorer, wet or dry. I use a 55 with steels, a 40 with aluminums. My backup buoyancy is a liftbag. Dual wings is a mess and is not needed.

I don't dive caves, if I did I would dive dry.

WW

lal7176 once bubbled...

Now i know why i never took up cave diving besides the fact there are no caves around here :D This is a interesting subject and am curious to what other overhead divers use as far as double single bladder wings, double bladder wings, and those with single bladder wings what is your method if you lose a wing deep back inside of a cave and have mandatory deco on top of that.Dont respond by saying,"put your head between you legs and kiss your butt good bye" :D Just kidding!!

I always dive dry on these dives. I use a single bladder wing and with full tanks I would need to put some gas in my suit to get neutral.

I see divers with double 104's diving wet and I guess their plan is to rock climb out? Even with Al tanks it wouldn't be fun. I'll stick to dry.

MikeFerrara once bubbled...

This is a good theory for OW where you can point yourself streight up and don't have any stops. However if you use double 104's and have stops or you have to trave for a thousand feet or so horizontally to get out of a cave you aren't doing it without a way to get neutral. Now add decompression gas, lights and reels. Just the weight of the gas you carry is enough to make you very heavy even if your neutral with empty tanks.

Good point, I had not thought of a cave scenario.

Balanced rig blah blah blah...ad nauseum.Did you say DEEP WRECK diver as in 2 stage bottles,reels,and maybe even wrecking tools that and gas weight could easily be 40lbs .I'd love to see you swim up this balanced rig or use your drysuit for bouyancy with 40lbs of negative bouyancy .Please try to imagine actually doing this dive instead of reflexively quoting texts.I like the Halcyon just cause it's better made.But with HP120s or even AL80s if diving wet lift bag or drysuit back-up are much more involved and require more task loading .A dual bladder is not the best solution but give me a break.And besides how do you deco horizontally with a liftbag or drysuit?

I have some of the same concerns that Tony has regarding swimming up a rig. Things can get further complicated by having a large percentage of balast non-dumpable in the form of an extra thick stainless steel backplate, weighted STA and a large steel tank. OK, you live to swim it up to the surface. What do you do with all the non-dumpable weight if the boat is not around? Keep swimming?

Did you say DEEP WRECK diver as in 2 stage...........

I didn't say it but that's what I meant.

I'd love to see you swim up ..........

You're right, can't be done with big steels, but can be done with aluminum 80s.

or use your drysuit for bouyancy

Have you ever tried this? Drysuit creates a LOT of buoyancy. It will definately get you up.

Please try to imagine actually doing this dive..........

I do "this dive" pretty much every dive I do. So far I've survived it. I don't own a single tank setup, just 3 double sets (80s, 95s, 104s) and I can't remember the last dive I did without deco bottles under my arm.

A dual bladder is not the best solution but give me a break

OK, you've got a break. But its still an awful solution, needless complexity and entanglement hazard, more confusion, far more task loading than a drysuit, about the same as a bag.

how do you deco horizontally with a liftbag or drysuit?

Not a biggie with a drysuit, not doable with a bag. So what? Its an emergency procedure, do what works. Decoing vertically won't kill you, itsd just not optimum.

You seem to be getting all pissy because you think we're all GUE kool-Ade kids and that we are just quoting the party line without doing the dives. In my case you missed your guess. I'm a TDI and IANTD trimix diver, not GUE. I'm been diving wrecks for about 30 years.

WW

OK, you live to swim it up to the surface. What do you do with all the non-dumpable weight if the boat is not around? Keep swimming?

Ditch it.

What good does a negative rig with an empty tank do for you anyway? Your exposure protection (if its a wetsuit, and thus not a redundant source of lift) is MAJOR positive; dump the kit and you won't be able to sink even if you try.

If there is a wing failure, the first thing I'm going to get rid of are my "wrecking tools"...plus whatever other stuff I don't need at the moment.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom