Halcyon's Backplate Pak

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Having just spent a week diving a backplate in a 3mm suit that's closer to 2mm, there's no need for the storage pak for padding. It does however hold a liftbag or SMB particularly well. Get it for the storage capacity, not for use as padding.

I used to have one on my gear, but have never used it, so I removed it. I never felt any difference in "padding" while wearing the backplate. Some people use them to store lift bags, etc, under, but as the largest bag-like item I own is a SMB which fits better in my pocket, I had no real use for the MC pack. I also suspect it might be difficult to cram anything halfway decent sized under the MC pack.

That said, YMMV. I still have the MC Pack in case I decide later on that I need it. However if you do decide to order one, keep a close eye on the bolts that it uses to fasten to the plate with - mine liked to loosen themseves and I had replaced the bolts with zip-ties for a while before removing the pack altogether.

The MC Storage Pak really does not do much in the way of padding especially when you don't store a lift bag in it. However, I use it to store my lift bag. I don't really care about the padding issue except when I am standing in my tanks or walking in them.

I have a Bp/w and have done both wet and dry diving. I have never needed any padding at all as it is quite comfortable already.
I don't know about its storage valu.

Just wanna repeate what everyone else said, "not for padding but for "invisible" storage.

Does anyone else have a problem with those t-nuts and bolts coming loose?

No need for padding. Change the bolts and add lock-washers.

baenglish73:
Does anyone else have a problem with those t-nuts and bolts coming loose?

No need for padding. Change the bolts and add lock-washers.

Yes I have that problem. Like someone said already, you need to check them quite often because they loosen very easily.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom