Hammerhead Backplate Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use the bolt for the front D ring and keeper...

To keep it from slidding up when I'm scootering and making the crotch strap loop smaller (remember buckle has to go thru this loop) I've never had any issues with the butt ring moving.

Nemrod,
Excellent instructions and Pics. I notice your DR STA rubber protectors are not covering the STA to prevent contact between tank and STA.

No, they are not, I could do them that way but I was trying to keep the tank as low as possible. The tank still cinches up tight and what does it matter if I scratch a rental tank? But, I think I recall that I had them as you suggest until last time I threaded the cambands, good point for the other folks, thanks. It only adds a tiny increase in height.

N

Alright, lets see if I can word this question in a reasonable way....

Lets assume that I bolt the front (not sure if I will, because I am not sure I will ever use a scooter) but lets talk about the attachment at the back.

I want a D-ring back there, and I want to secure the strap with a tri-glide. Do I secure the D-Ring between the webbing and tri-glide, or just let it flop around in the loop made for going through the backplate? The only reason I ask is because the webbing goes up through the glide, down through it... then through the backplate and up through the glide and back down through it again. My guess is that you still secure it with the glide.

Thanks,
Sam

I'm not quite sure what you're asking, but yes you can use a tri-glide to secure a D ring, in fact that's what they're made to do. You don't need a bolt for the crotch strap, you can use a tri-glide to secure the loop front and back. I think the softer webbing is a little better for the crotch strap, BTW.

I don't know why you're putting a D ring back there anyway. It's probably best to start with just 3 D rings; one on each chest strap and one on the left hip for your SPG. If you have other stuff to attach, then a right hip D ring can be useful. What are you planning on attaching to the butt D ring?

I'm not quite sure what you're asking, but yes you can use a tri-glide to secure a D ring, in fact that's what they're made to do. You don't need a bolt for the crotch strap, you can use a tri-glide to secure the loop front and back. I think the softer webbing is a little better for the crotch strap, BTW.

I don't know why you're putting a D ring back there anyway. It's probably best to start with just 3 D rings; one on each chest strap and one on the left hip for your SPG. If you have other stuff to attach, then a right hip D ring can be useful. What are you planning on attaching to the butt D ring?

Not exactly sure what I would use it for yet, but it looks good to attach things that aren't commonly used like safety sausages, etc. I suppose I could leave it off for now. It just seems like a common ring that people use, so I figured I would add it on as well.

Not exactly sure what I would use it for yet, but it looks good to attach things that aren't commonly used like safety sausages, etc. I suppose I could leave it off for now. It just seems like a common ring that people use, so I figured I would add it on as well.

The DIR way provides for two DRings on the crotch strap, one in the front used for attaching a DPV, and one in the rear high up that can do double duty as a way to secure the crotch strap, and to hang JUNK from. If you don't plan on using a DPV, then I'd put the DRing in the rear.

Alright, lets see if I can word this question in a reasonable way....

Lets assume that I bolt the front (not sure if I will, because I am not sure I will ever use a scooter) but lets talk about the attachment at the back.

I want a D-ring back there, and I want to secure the strap with a tri-glide. Do I secure the D-Ring between the webbing and tri-glide, or just let it flop around in the loop made for going through the backplate? The only reason I ask is because the webbing goes up through the glide, down through it... then through the backplate and up through the glide and back down through it again. My guess is that you still secure it with the glide.

Thanks,
Sam
I secure mine with the glide.

Lets assume that I bolt the front (not sure if I will, because I am not sure I will ever use a scooter)

Picture this. My scooter buddy bails on me and I have 2 scooters but no buddy... I roam around the Breakwater (the local mudhole/bunny slopes) looking for someone who wants to give it a whirl....

Hey there's Sam in a backplate... "Hey want to scooter?......" :wink:

Usually you make the front portion of the crotch strap adjustable. Also normally a strap only has one adjustable end, the other end fixed. Thus the correct positon for the bolt is at the aft loop just below the plate. But, you can do it as you like, it is your plate.

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom