Hammerhead Backplate Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you for that link--however--bolting the crotch strap to the plate will mean the tank/sta or whatever will ride on that bolt making the stack greater and or making it unstable. Bolting the crotch strap through itself---as was told me by Hammerhead---prevents this condition. Instead, the Hammerhead plate has a slot on the lower edge center for looping the strap through and then bolting to itself, not the plate. If having the tank rolling on the bolt head is not a concern to you then by all means do it as in the link.

N

Good point about the bolt head attachment on the plate. I personally thread the back onto itself with a tri-glide and butt D-ring, and don't use the bolt at all.

Nice thing about the site is that it shows how the weaves are done.

It all makes so much sense now. Having never seen a harness in person it was a little confusing.

I found the crossed shoulder straps are MUCH more comfortable for me. I am not sure how I want to secure the back of the crotch strap. Either a tri-glide or a bolt works for me... I guess whatever I feel like when I finally get around to it. I am trying to avoid putting it all together until I figure out what I need/want for pockets, weight pouches, etc.

Ok, on the hammerhead plate what exactly is the bottom bolt hole for? There are three equally spaced holes at the top, and three equally spaced holes at the bottom and one that is further down near the crotch strap slot. If the bolt would rub on the tank or STA then bolting through the plate seems ... well, not to sound mean, dumb. Why would they even include it?

It all makes so much sense now. Having never seen a harness in person it was a little confusing.

I found the crossed shoulder straps are MUCH more comfortable for me. I am not sure how I want to secure the back of the crotch strap. Either a tri-glide or a bolt works for me... I guess whatever I feel like when I finally get around to it. I am trying to avoid putting it all together until I figure out what I need/want for pockets, weight pouches, etc.

Ok, on the hammerhead plate what exactly is the bottom bolt hole for? There are three equally spaced holes at the top, and three equally spaced holes at the bottom and one that is further down near the crotch strap slot. If the bolt would rub on the tank or STA then bolting through the plate seems ... well, not to sound mean, dumb. Why would they even include it?

Include what, the hole or the bolt? The bolt was included to bolt the strap to itself as I said and as I pictured. I think your to worried over this bolt thing. Maybe just toss it in the kitchen drawer and forget it ever existed. Or, go ahead and put it in the plate like in the link and watch your tank rock on it. Look, there are no rules for the small details like this, do it however suits you, I don't think they will kick you out of DIR school if you put the bolt there or here or not at all. If they have rules for the bolt placement then you might want to look into another path to the promised land.

DSCF0141.jpg

The bolt is normally covered by the inner tube to prevent chaffing. The head of the bolt goes to your rear, the nut goes away from you. The inner tube --optional--goes over the bolt. The tri-glide is there strictly to hold the rear D ring--not for adjustment. The adjustments are done on the front loop. Anyways, good luck, hope it works out for you.

N

No no, I am just curious what the small, square hole directly above the slot for the crotch strap webbing is for. If someone did bolt through the the plate and it caused the tank to rock on it, it seems like it would be stupid to include a hold for it.

I am going to secure the back like you did Nemrod.

Bolting the crotch strap through itself---as was told me by Hammerhead---prevents this condition. Instead, the Hammerhead plate has a slot on the lower edge center for looping the strap through and then bolting to itself, not the plate. N

Am I correct that you're saying the bolt goes through two "walls" of webbing? I.e. make a loop, then match-punch/burn a hole through both walls and bolt the loop together, right?

With that, wouldn't one of those sloted strap threading thing work better since they support the entire width?

Great pics, just trying to follow.

P.S. What's the leathery looking wrap just below the bolt?

Bicycle inner tube...usually on harnesses to keep loose things snug.

Cheers.

-J.-

Here's a detailed description with pictures, on how to thread a crotch strap:
Webbing a Harness

this page suggesting bolting the crotch strap to the BP versus Nemrod's way of bolting the strap to itself after looping through the BP. I can see Nemrod's point of the bolt being in the way.

the first time i setup my harness i just bolted my crotch strap to the BP, maybe i'll try threading it through tonight. as always, great info guys. thanks.

Back
Top Bottom