Hand-operated booster

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The small form factor boosters are really designed to fill rebreather bottles not larger tanks. I sold the Hydraulics International air driven booster mentioned ealrier - for a single diver, the HI or the mini-Haskel are excellent little pumps. They are portable, they are fast, they are O2 clean, they are economical to run. One drives them with another cylinder and standard reg driving at 135-150 psi. True, they are somewhat delicate and the seals break if continously driving large amounts of gas for multiple divers.

I moved to a larger Haskel because i need to drive large amounts of gas at a store. My next step will be a masterline as soon as we can afford one. The Haskel 7/30 (15/30) requires huge amounts of gas volume at low psi (100-200) to drive pressure high - I drive it with one my other banks with the panel regulator - i tried a couple of normal 120v shop compressors @ 130/160 psi and they are just not sufficient. Then, if the unit is not O2 clean, it costs about $2500 on top of the buying price to send it to Haskel (buying the kit a self servicing is marginally cheaper).

just my $0.02

Thanks demed. For personal, home-based use I was hoping to get away with something that didn't require added complications (and space!) of a mid-sized LP compressor. I concur with your experience that smaller shop compressors won't push enough gas through - this is what I've also been told.

Electric-driven boosters are quite pricey, and two trips to the LDS every month just can't equate to $15000. I'd rather spend that on a second CCR :eyebrow:

Anything air-driven requires a hefty LP compressor, but if I open that door then I might as well consider a small Bauer breathing gas compressor. Dedicate an HP steel cylinder (or two) to booster-driving and use that for say a Sport Haskel. LDS trips become completely redundant.

It's not about the cash involved, more the hassle - both ways. Does maintaining a breathing gas compressor (filters etc.), plus getting Js of He and O2 delivered, maintaining the Haskel, safely housing and boosting gas etc etc etc really equal a few trips to the LDS every month in terms of traffic/driving time - even assuming breakeven on costs in a couple of years?

A hand-powered booster simplified the picture considerably, but the laws of physics don't make it a real contender. This sucks!

if the LDS is less than an hour away each way, you'll never be able to justify any setup based on operating costs. Convenience is the only thing you can use to justify it.
I'd still hunt for a small electric booster, they can be had for around $6k and then you go away from the noise of the Haskels and the drive gas *which is horrible btw*, and then you can go away from the shop permanently.

FS: Electric Oxygen booster Masterline 7000A-2 - Rebreather World
This one is a little high, but basically new, so not terrible. Exchange rates might give you a boost there.

Anyone build their own booster? - Rebreather World
Could also build your own. Oxyhacker is a great book with some homebuild designs in it.

The hand operated boosters aren't bad, but you want a twin stage one to get any sort of efficiency out of it and if you're going to that your arms may regret it in the long run

For personal use just buy more cylinders and visit the LDS less often. Cheaper and a lot less hassle.

For personal use just buy more cylinders and visit the LDS less often. Cheaper and a lot less hassle.

My cylinder population is already in the double-digits : )

---------- Post added January 26th, 2015 at 01:07 PM ----------

Update 26/1/15:

After much consideration, and considering very pricey hand-operated offerings (military-grade), I'm settling on the Sport Haskel. Been using a couple of them for some years now in a semi-recreational environment and am happy with their performance.

Evaluated my typical 3-litre boosts using an AL80 for supply and the mileage is acceptable. Getting 15-litre steels for supply and setting up at home.

Shouldn't need to visit the LDS more than once a month for 2-3 weekends worth of diving : )

Big 'thank you' to everyone for helping out with their own experiences and insight.

American Airworks has rebuilt Haskel gas boosters for sale. Used Haskel Boosters and Haskel Air Amplifiers We have a few AG-75 units to rebuild that work well with O2 transfilling. We have a passel of 26968 (AGT-15/30 with all Haskel accessories & roll cage) boosters to rebuild. Price range is $3300 to $7275 or so. 800-523-7222 in WV.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom