has anybody tried this

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diveasr

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Never seen one but 44lbs is a lot of lift for single tank warm water dives, esp if your cousin is average size or smaller.
At $229 I have to wonder about the quality as well.

http://www.scubatoys.com/store/search_results.asp?iLevel=1&txtsearchParamCat=ALL&txtsearchParamMan=ALL&txtsearchParamVen=ALL&txtsearchParamType=ALL&txtFromSearch=fromSearch&txtsearchParamTxt=closeouts

There are two BC's there for $250, and some more for $300. Scuba Toys is well known here and on other forums, infact, they have two guys (the owners :) ) on here that participate actively. You can call or pm or email them and they will help you in any way possible. There are only a few other shops I would reccomend to people like this, but they deal with technical diving equipment :)

Haven't tried it, but I have it bookmarked for when I need a new BC.

I dive a new-old-stock Ocean Dynamics BC that was manufactured in the '70's. It's just like the X-Wing, except slightly less lift, no noisemaker, and doesn't have the pull dump in the inflator or the d-rings on the sides (not sure what they are for anyway). A lot of manufacturers used to make similar products.

I love my OD BC. It weighs next-to-nothing in air, is neutral in the water, and packs in a boot box (almost a shoe box).

I bought it to use as a travel BC, but then liked it so much I sold my Ranger. The Ranger was about four pounds heavier, and about four pounds positive, so that's about eight extra pounds I was hauling through the surf.

WRT to padded straps, I never dive without at least a shorty wetsuit, so the wetsuit provides enough padding for me. Especially as my rig is getting lighter and lighter.

I'll probably ruffle some feathers here, but this type of BC (I call it a backpack and wing) has many of the advantages of a BP/W, and in my mind is even better for travel.

Your cousin will probably want to add a d-ring or three, and a pocket, but the beauty of the 2" harness is that you can set it up however you want.

Back inflate BCs are great, but that wing is HUGE! WAY too much lift, esp. for a 14 year old. It's just going to flap around in the water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom