Has anyone ever missed a boat?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dude, 1 hr of sleep ? What the hell were you thinking :huh: You need at least 3 or 4 :wink:

Seriously, all night partying and diving don't mix well. You really want to get plenty of sleep the night before. Boozing it up is potentially bad news too. We all have to make choices in life. Sounds like you made a good decision not to go diving this morning. Live to fight another day. Peace, bro !

JDog:
How are the ears doing?

They’re doing great! I’ve got about 30 dives on them and I appreciate you asking. I’m guessing you saw that in my LDS report.

mike_s:
When I was "19 and bullet-proof", I could stay up for days doing just about anything with only an hours sleep and never miss a beat.

Now days, I need my sleep.

To answer the original question about what happens to your money, most boats have you pay at the time you reserve and have a set cancellation policy. No show's or late cancelations are typically not given refunds unless they can fill your spot with another paying diver. Of course every boat is different. I'm sure if you're a regular customer that they might be willing to work with you.

I think I just shed my Kevlar. For this trip everything was prepaid through paypal, which I'm still trying to figure out if that's the best way or not. I know it is for the boat.

JodiBB:
Billy...we missed you today!!! It was great diving and great weather!!! Oh well, there's always another day for diving....

Thanks Jodi, I hope to dive with and meet you soon, I’m sure it was an awesome trip! I know you were in great company.

Diver_Jan:
Hmmmm...I think your higher power was keeping an eye on you and 'made' you miss the boat for your own safety, and possibly the safety of your new buddies.

I was DM for a boat that was scheduled to leave at 7am, following Day Light Savings Time (meaning that we needed to set our clocks ahead an hour at Midnight). It was 7am and I was sent up to the parking lot to see if there were any stragglers. Sure enough, a gal pulls up in her SUV. I asked her what boat she was on? You guessed it, she thought it was 6am! The boat was nice enough to wait for her. However, she was a bit miffed that no one called her to remind her that it was Day Light Savings Time! At that point, I had to bite my toungue.

Thanks Jan, that really is comforting and takes my cheap mind off of the money. I think the deductible for my car is $500, so I'll take the $112 hit on the trip.

riguerin:
Dude, 1 hr of sleep ? What the hell were you thinking :huh: You need at least 3 or 4 :wink:

Seriously, all night partying and diving don't mix well. You really want to get plenty of sleep the night before. Boozing it up is potentially bad news too. We all have to make choices in life. Sounds like you made a good decision not to go diving this morning. Live to fight another day. Peace, bro !

My friends and I would pull all-nighters, due to excitement, before taking snowboarding or surfing trips, or both in one day. I now realize that those days have passed. It’s a sad day in the House of Billy.

I used to go to concerts for a living. This meant that I was always around others working in the industry, so composure was everything. I'm not sure if I've ever boozed it up at a show, maybe it's about time! thanks for the drinking inspiration Rick!!! j/k

Empty V:
My friends and I would pull all-nighters, due to excitement, before taking snowboarding or surfing trips, or both in one day. I now realize that those days have passed. It’s a sad day in the House of Billy.

I used to go to concerts for a living. This meant that I was always around others working in the industry, so composure was everything. I'm not sure if I've ever boozed it up at a show, maybe it's about time! thanks for the drinking inspiration Rick!!! j/k

Billy, I've pulled my fair share of all nighters. Growing up in So Cal then moving to So FL, I can't even begin to count the the number of times I went straight to work after clubbing all night long. My in-laws owned a big house in Key West, so I can totally relate to the partying/diving scene. From words of experience ... don't do it ... get sleep ! As far as boozing goes ... that's bad ...don't do it, m'kay !

Well, Billy, as much as we missed you, I think you made the right decision. Diving on 1 hour of sleep is a potentially risky proposition, as much as I joked about it the previous week.

We'll dive together at some point... no need to rush.

And yes, I've missed a boat before. I was supposed to go to the oil rigs on the Sea Bass this past May. I had sushi the night before. Bad sushi, it turned out. After puking much of the night, I called and cancelled, and kissed my dinero goodbye. Lesson learned for me... no sushi the night before diving! (Ironically, a few days later there was an article on diving nutrition in Dive Training mag (I think... it may have been Rodale's Scuba Diving Mag) that specifically recommended against eating sushi or any other raw foods the night before a dive trip. Timing!

Oh, one last thing: Nothing wrong with boozing it up, IMO. :D As long as it's NOT the night before a dive trip, and you don't have to drive anywhere for a sufficient time to drive sober!

Diver_Jan:
Hmmmm...I think your higher power was keeping an eye on you and 'made' you miss the boat for your own safety, and possibly the safety of your new buddies.

I was DM for a boat that was scheduled to leave at 7am, following Day Light Savings Time (meaning that we needed to set our clocks ahead an hour at Midnight). It was 7am and I was sent up to the parking lot to see if there were any stragglers. Sure enough, a gal pulls up in her SUV. I asked her what boat she was on? You guessed it, she thought it was 6am! The boat was nice enough to wait for her. However, she was a bit miffed that no one called her to remind her that it was Day Light Savings Time! At that point, I had to bite my toungue.
I worked at Marina Dive and Sport when most of the dive boats were at 22nd Street Landing. The Annual Daylight Savings boat run was always fun. One year there was a group of a dozen who arrived at 7:45 thinking they were on time for the 7:00 Great Escape trip. The boat even waited 30 minutes for them. They came in the shop and complained to me that they wanted their money back. We hadn't even chartered the boat. When I asked them if they forgot to set their clocks ahead they looked at each other and walked out. :)

Yeah, I've missed two boats and was flipping mad at myself for both.

The first one was really stupid- I didn't have a map with me, just some crude hand drawn directions, and got completely lost and never made it.

The second one (just earlier this month) was missed when I overslept and knew I'd never make it in time.

it really sucks having had to eat and waste $200 on boats I never stepped foot upon. You have my sympathy.

Yes, missing a boat sucks. I have not missed any (Luckily :11doh:) but I was the dive coordinator for SOCDC for a few years. EVERY boat seemed to have one straggler or person who missed the boat. I always got people's cell numbers and would call 30 minutes before departure time to those that were missing. I still had people mad at me for their misjudgement about boat departure times...charters DON'T always leave at the same time as an Open Boat. :no Sorry, no refunds, as the club would loose money.

I was saddened that I didn't get to meet you, but there is always tomorrow to dive:scubadive ...with SLEEP :sleep: ! not :coffee:

i didn't miss the boat but i was running late to the boat that was 2 miles from my house and i got pulled over IN the parking lot of the boat for everybody's entertainment.

as it turned out the street he claimed i was speeding on wasn't a street i had been on. (yeah likely story i know). oh well.

I rushed to the boat and strapped my rig onto somebody elses tank. (the boat provided the tanks, and hey, that big 100 looked pretty cool to me!) Was i off to a start...

I almost missed it. I've been on a boat where some guy called the boat back to get on it. If the captain is nice, he might let you get on an afternoon dive

Back
Top Bottom