Has anyone stayed in Rabaul?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OHGoDive

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
We will be in Rabaul, PNG two nights ahead of our liveaboard departure and are looking for places to stay. Has anyone been there? Stayed there?

Can anyone tell me any specifics about the area? It looks since the eruption, that the actual "town" of Rabaul is actually migrating to Kokopo, nearer the airport. But, where do the boats leave from? It looks like the port is still in Rabaul proper.

We'd like to dive at least one day, if just to check all of our gear before we get on board. Any thoughts on where would be a good choice to stay, comfortable and for diving, close to the airport, but not too far from where we'll need to board the boat?

Also, what else would you suggest that two very jet-lagged travellers should not miss while they are in town?

Thanks everyone!

All you divers here, and no one has stayed in Rabaul? I don't believe it.

Someone must have some info.

I have not been to Rabaul but am doing a bit of research into a trip to PNG myself, so am passing on the bit of info I have.
Stephen from Kabaira Beach Hideaway might be able to help you, his website www.kabaira.com, its a bit out of rabaul town but seems quite nice and you can dive from there.
Otherwise from the Lonely Planet I found Hamamas Hotel www.rabaulhotel.com.pg and kulau lodge.
In Kokopo - Rapopo Plantation Resort if you want a place to dive from as well, or kokopo village resort www.kokoporesort.com.pg

Hope this helps you a bit.

When are you going?

H2Obaby:
I have not been to Rabaul but am doing a bit of research into a trip to PNG myself, so am passing on the bit of info I have.
Stephen from Kabaira Beach Hideaway might be able to help you, his website www.kabaira.com, its a bit out of rabaul town but seems quite nice and you can dive from there.
Otherwise from the Lonely Planet I found Hamamas Hotel www.rabaulhotel.com.pg and kulau lodge.
In Kokopo - Rapopo Plantation Resort if you want a place to dive from as well, or kokopo village resort www.kokoporesort.com.pg

Hope this helps you a bit.

When are you going?

Ah, great. Thanks. I hadn't come across Kabaira yet, it is definitely a possibility.

It seems as if Hamamas and Kokopo are the two biggest outfits, but I wasn't sure which would be more convenient. It seems as if Hamamas is further from the airport, closer to the docks, while Kokopo is closer to the airport but further from the dock. They both look reasonable, but I was hoping someone might have some firsthand info.

Kokopo and Rabaul proper appear to be about an hour drive apart. I am leaning toward Kokopo, since another hour drive after some 24 hours of flying doesn't sound too appealing. Of course, after that long enroute, I doubt I'll even be aware of much of anything.

We'll be there in July. You?

Thinking August or September.
Who are you doing the liveaboard with? I think Star Dancer guests may stay in the Hamamas which would make sense if closer to the docks. Sorry no 1st hand info for you.
I'm travelling with the other half who doesn't want to do a liveaboard any longer than a week, so am struggling with deciding on which land-based resort will be best at this time of year.

I've stayed in Rabaul, but aboard the FeBrina. I have dived with Stephen before he opened his dive operation. I have not heard many good things about that place (arrogant attitude, expensive, poor condition of equipment/boats, and difficulty getting him to take you to any but the closest reefs). However, how bad could it be for just one day....Staying in Rabaul is a bit of a grind....literally! The ash fall from the erupting volcano gets on everything. It is extremely abrasive and you must protect dive/camera gear.

If you do stay there, ask to dive the beehives. They are the tall volcanic towers right in the harbour area. there is excellent muck there and a lovely reef area around the base. You won't regret a dive there. Don't forget to bring back some pumice stones that are all around the place. They are light and come in useful for sanding callouses.
They cost a pretty penny here in the States.

If you're interested in land based PNG, I just came back from 6 nights at Tawali in Milne Bay PNG. For details see my trip report posted yesterday on the Australia, NZ and Pacific Islands section.
Rich

Back
Top Bottom