Has the RDP changed over the years?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The flying after diving rules have changed on the newer slates. (18 hours vs. 24 hours)

The wheel had dots that had to be lined up to verify that it was calibrated. There was no adjustment if the dots didn't line up though. I found the wheel fairly easy to use. It was easy to overlook the rule about being within 3 pressure groups of NDL.

yes they have changed. During our DM course one of the students dug out his (or it may have been his fathers) old RDP slate and some of the bottom times (more for deeper dives) were longer on the old slate.

I can't recall the print date of the old one [the colour of the white parts would suggest at least 15 years] but the new slate was from an OW pack we pilfered from the shop during the course, so it was very much current.

I like to show my rdp to my new dive buddys as a strange conversation peace and a bit of history! :eyebrow:

personally, the wheel, in my humble opinion, is a great planning tool, because of the ability to use some of the ML strategy. I continue to use mine pre-dive, as well as in post dive validation. And, have even obtained extras because I is too valuable to me in my dive program if it gets lost or damaged (and I wasn't even certified through PADI).

To your question regarding the PADI tables change, I too remember the "oops" that was in the EAN tables. As long as you have the expanded letter group range, its likely current.

Jim, I just got my hands on an "old" NASDS table that also includes a SI calculator, as well as some emergence deco numbers..... Numbers/PG's are similar to current NAUI, and, I believe, they are actually the Navy Tables.......(i.e.: 60'/60 min & 100'/25 min)

yeah im curious to goof around with the wheel but have no idea how to use it ha

i've actually tried to find tables online but don't seem to see em anywhere amazingly.

Here is ONE table. There are a bunch but if you really want a copy for use UW IMO pay the $$$ and get the waterproof cards. Most boats have them on board and you can borrow them. They are handy for reference doing flat profiles.

http://www.scubadiverinfo.com/images/Dive_tables_NAUI.jpg

Click on it once to enlarge once it opens.

nice.. thanks!

wonder if PADI has a "using NAUI rdp's" specialty class course

I still have my waterproof dive table from 1978. Here it is:

dive table front.jpgdive table back.jpg

From memory and correct me if I'm wrong. Pre 1985 (or 86) The tables used were not RDP. They were the Navy Dive Tables, not designed for rec use. I know in 83 (NAUI course) at my open water course the instructor told us not to test the limits of the tables because they were designed to be on the edge. In 1985 (or 86) PADI designed a RDP table and I believe those are still the RDPs that PADI sells. Not sure what other cert agencies do. PADI had the wheel for a time and now the eRDP and eRDPml. Those are electronic calculator devices. The do not give the same info as the RDP, close, but there are some difference in coming up with pressure groups and dive planning.

the eRDP and eRDPml. Those are electronic calculator devices. The do not give the same info as the RDP, close, but there are some difference in coming up with pressure groups and dive planning.

The table uses 10 foot increments, while the eRDPml uses 5 foot increments, which will give different numbers when planning a dive to 53', as an example.

NDL on the table is 55 minutes while the eRDPml will give you 65 minutes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom