Has the RDP changed over the years?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

But neither the erdp or erdpml can be taken underwater, run over by a truck, stepped on, or have a tank sat down on them and still be counted on to work. The tables can take all of that and more. And still work. Tables never have battery issues. New divers should not be pushing ndl's. Trying whenever possible to dive square profiles as the tables use also builds skills and increases self discipline and good judgment. So what if your dive is a few minutes shorter? Mine are at times and just as enjoyable if I have stuck to plan and came back safe. Bottom time is no longer nearly as important to me as the quality of that time and the skills I was able to use successfully and hopefully improve on. If I want more bottom time I plan for deco. Too many times early on riding the computer and coming close to the yellow in the range. Thinking it was cool. When what it really was actually is stupidity.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

Jim
I agree that it's important for divers to know and understand how tables there are some advantages to computers too. They don't get narc'd, they don't make math errors, they do give you more bottom time if your dive is such. I have seen tables become brittle and break or be dropped also. Also many charters and dive ops are requiring a computer now. If someone has both, and understands and follows their use they would be prepared than someone counting on just one. Just my opinion.

Did my OW theory by e-learning so never got an rdp slate. Not a huge thing cause I have a dive computer but still thought its nice to have one handy and to aid in general dive planning. Anyway, someone gave me his old dive books.. (Emphasis on old.. There's even a scubapro diving manual) and one had a PADI rdp slate in it (and 'the wheel'--bonus!). I think it's from 1994 since that's the latest copyright indicated.

Have they made changes to it since? If so, anyone know what changes? Thought I remember certain years having an error or something on em..

Rather than trying to look like an expert by stealing information, below is a link to an old thread discussing this topic. The divers posting are very knowledgeable and thorough in their answers. You will sometimes still find them over in the Vintage diving forum.

Vintage Dive Tables? [Archive] - ScubaBoard

Bob
----------------------------------
I may be old, but I’m not dead yet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom