have a controlled seizure disorder

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aquagirl73

Reaction score
and my neuro just told me that he can not sign a release for me to get PADI certified. I have been seizure free for 12 years and am on medication for this. can you tell me if there is any recourse for this?

ag

Each training agency (PADI, SSI, NAUI, YMCA, IANTD, etc) has a list of absolute contraindications, formulated by the insurance company that the agency contracts with, which states what medical conditions prevent a person from taking scuba instruction.

Here is a short condensed version:

1) Any condition that may result in siezures (epilepsy etc)

2) Asthma

3) Insulin dependent diabedes

4) Emphysema

5) Chronic heart disease (including PFO)

It looks like you should probably stay on the surface, and snorkel.

Even freediving, without scuba, would be too dangerous for you to do, if you might suffer from a seizure while you are underwater.

Hi aquagirl:

This is a question that should be posted on the Medical board.

It sounds as though you have a bad piece of luck in this case.

Dr Deco :doctor:

I used to work in Neurosurgery at a Silicon Valley hospital. (I worked as an administrator, not an M.D.) The physicians have to be very careful for legal reasons. They can not put the hospital at risk for litigation. It is basic risk management.

Say for example that your neurologist said, "Sure go ahead and have fun." Then--God forbid--you have some kind of syncope or loss of consciousness and drown. Your surviving family could sue the trousers off the physician as well as the hospital, and your lawyer would argue that the doctor should have never allowed you to get near the water. Even if you begged him and begged him to give you approval.

I am sympathetic to your situation, because I am sure you feel capable and fit. However, your doctor has to cover himself, and I hope you can see how difficult this kind of scenario is for a medical professional.

Wishing you all the best! :rfish:

Here is my 2c worth.
Seizure free at sea level might not mean you'll be seizure free at depth due to all the different environmental factors. You could probably find some info some place where a seizure has been induced by raised CO2 or O2 levels in the blood - or any of the other environmental things which change when you descend. In the days past - i actually thought they had people swim down to test what would happen at pressure - funnily enough they had a seizure - but that's at a pretty decent depth and breathing air.
Similarly - if you're on any medications they may act differently as well - work to little - could seize, work to much - sedate...

Guess it's just that fear of the one off chance something does happen - plus the legalities medics now face.

I may be wrong (please correct me as this seems to be a controversial area at present), but I thought that there is a push for allowing those people who have asthma to make an informed decision about diving - presuming they are well controlled and haven't had an acute attack (ect) recently - maybe one day such a thing will be in place for other conditions.

Standards for this vary, but I'm afraid none of them are very promising. For recreational divers, one common guideline is that if you've been seizure-free for 5 years and take no medication, you are able to dive, although you should avoid hyperventilation and high PO2.

There isn't a lot of hard data behind this, but the basic thinking is that diving probably lowers the seizure threshold (in part due to elevated PO2), and it's also possible that seizure medications may work less well at depth. Given that seizures at depth tend to be fatal, the guidelines are naturally conservative.

This subject is close to my heart, as tomorrow I'm scheduled for my first dive in seven years, following a single seizure. Given that I've been seizure-free for seven years, and that I've been off meds for five, my seizure risk isn't much above baseline. After consultation with a DAN-recommended neurologist, I'm cleared to dive with the following restrictions:
-no hyperventilating
-no elevated PO2 (ie, no Nitrox or deep air)
-informed consent from my buddy (since a seizure on my part would put them at significant risk)

One text I have handy contains the following passage:
Individuals with controlled epilepsy (taking medication, seizure-free for 2 years) are advised NOT TO DIVE. Should they choose to ignore this recommendation, they accept the increased accident risk.. In the climate of "informed consent", the risk may be accepted, but it should not be ignored.

I bet if you shop around enough, you can find a doctor who'll clear you to dive. I have to say, though, that while I sympathize a lot with your position, I think you shouldn't be diving.

This is one of those very tough issue and there is probably not one true right answer. You have been seizure free for 12 years but still on medicaiton. Have you ever been off medication and have recurrence of seizure? Some people do grow out of seizure eventually but again, it can come back anytime.
Personally, I think diving is not that unsimilar to driving (OK, high pressure certainly can make a difference but I think it is similar enough). I think most patients are advised not to drive for at least 6-12 months after their seizure is diagnosed, treated and under control. Yu certainly don't want to drive and have seizure.
However, they do not ban you from driving for life because in places like the US, it is probably quite inconvinience to not be able to drive except NY City, may be. So there is a compromise on a window period before you can resume driving. However, most people can do very well without having to dive :) so why risk it, even if the risk is very low. So there is a little double standard here but I think it may be difficult to justify putting yourself at risk for a non essential hobby.
Just a thought.....

Monce bubbled...

I'm cleared to dive with the following restrictions:
-no hyperventilating
-no elevated PO2 (ie, no Nitrox or deep air)
-informed consent from my buddy (since a seizure on my part would put them at significant risk)

Hi All:

You also need a negative EEG off medications, more than anything else.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/CivilAviation/Cam/TP13312-2/neurology/seizure.htm

On air, pp02 will exceed 1.0 at 124'. If so, it seems prudent to try the diver candidate on breathing 100% 02 for 15 min at least, on the surface and see what happens. I mention this because if 02 exposure has some relationship, then the depth limit for the candidate diver is restricted and must be clearly defined.

Food for thought, I don't know the answer but I would consult with a neurologist concerning the effects of gases on seizure threshold.

A simple guideline for seizure management is to use the aviation guidelines. If the seizure patient is theoretically clear to fly, they likely can dive too.

ssra30 once bubbled...
I think it may be difficult to justify putting yourself at risk for a non essential hobby.
Just a thought.....

I agree with this. Have a seizure driving and you may kill yourself and someone else. Even more likely, you'll run off the road and, assuming you were belted in, end up with some minor or moderate injuries. Have a seizure while diving, you're dead.

Back
Top Bottom