have a problem hovering while doing deco stop

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mstevens:
Ooh. I like that one!

So glad one of my feeble attempts at humor finally amused someone.

This thread begged for some comic relief in spite of being a good topic that got great suggestions.

theskull

I tried to loose some lead also and made a mistake. Earlier this year I was divinf fresh water with 4# of lead. I had an opertunity to dive some blue salt water and had no idea of how much I'd need. When asked I just said 8#. The dive was great 85 fsw no problems. After much meditation I decided on 6# for the next dive. OOPS, couldn't get down. Added 2# all was fine. The math didn't work out but the bouyancy did.

Spoon:
wow! i certainly learned a lot from this thread! i guess i will experiment this weekend! will try adding weights in 2 lb increments til i finally can hold a perfect hover at 15ft.

you serious?

I would recommend adding enough weight to be somewhat overweighted, than removing small amounts of it until, at 1' deep(not 15'), no air in your BC(make SURE it is all dumped), you sink when you exhale & float up when you inhale. Once you get this correct, holding a hover at 15' will be a lot easier.

I have the a slightly different question but along the same topic: I'm 135, 6' and wear 34 pounds w/ a 7mil wetsuit. I've met much larger people wearing far less. Why is it that I use all this weight but I'm never overweighted? A skinny ******* like me should need WAY less weight, don't you agree?

H2Andy:
you may not be getting all the air out of the BC

(it expands rapidly close to the surface, so you have to do it almost
constantly)

or

you're too light...

you should be able to hold a hover all the way up to the surface if properly
weighted... but it sounds like you just need a couple of pounds or so

i went through this when i was trying to get my optimum weight... was
very frustrating...

then i ended up adding 2 lbs, and it was much, much better

since, i switched to a steel backplate, so i am a little bit heavy now (without
the 2 lbs)

divermatt:
I'm 135, 6' and wear 34 pounds w/ a 7mil wetsuit

i've never used a 7 mil suit, but 34 lbs sounds like a LOT to me

have you tried staying at the surface with 500 psi, no air on your BC, and no
finning?

my guess is that you would sink like .... 34 lbs of lead :wink:

Spoon:
yup i pretty much figured that one out. 3/5 attempts to hover at 15ft ended up in failures and i do admit that i will be needing more weight. however at the back of my head i still think i can solve my problem through breathing techniques??? whatever the case, i will experiment with different weights over the weekend and give you guys feedback.

what is your BC? have you checked if you ahve a hollow plastic frame on your BC? they may trap some air that may cause you problems at 15 ft.

:11: Actually, around 500 PSI is where I risk the uncontrolled ascent with a 80 cu ft al tank. Here's the (super embarassing) kicker: I need to stay as light as possible: I have no problems w/diving: it's the walking the rig into the water that has been hampering me!

H2Andy:
i've never used a 7 mil suit, but 34 lbs sounds like a LOT to me

have you tried staying at the surface with 500 psi, no air on your BC, and no
finning?

my guess is that you would sink like .... 34 lbs of lead :wink:

wow...

maybe it's them big lungs of yours doing you in?

but still... with 34 lbs you should have plenty negative bouyancy

well... maybe it's one of those imponderables

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom