Question Have you (or anyone you know) ever seen a yoke regulator dislodged while diving?

Have you (or anyone you know) ever seen a yoke regulator dislodged while diving?

• Happened to me (while diving, reg pressurized)

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • Saw it happen (wile diving, reg pressurized)

Votes: 6 6.5%
  • Happened to me (unpressurized pony/stage, or at surface.. i.e. tank fell over)

Votes: 5 5.4%
  • Saw it happen (unpressurized pony/stage, or at surface.. i.e. tank fell over)

Votes: 6 6.5%
  • Heard about it second hand (describe conditions in comments)

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Never seen it or heard of it happening (but have heard of the possibility).

Votes: 51 54.8%
  • Never even heard of the possiblity

Votes: 21 22.6%
  • Heard about it second hand (unpressurized pony/stage, or at surface.. i.e. tank fell over)

Votes: 3 3.2%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is everyone in agreement that the din is more robust? I get that there are pros / cons.. but robustness.. strong like bull. Is din that?

Edit: have never seen, but heard of the possibility

I did have a buddy once who got his yoke reg stuck on the tank valve. The reg was not under pressure, the yoke screw was unscrewed, but for the life of him he could not get it to disengage from the tank valve. I couldn't either nor could the boat crew. He had to take the entire assembled rig into a dive shop. They were able to finally get it off. I have no clue what the issue was. It was so strange. Other than the perennial issue with blown/leaking valve o-rings, that is the only other "yoke" issue I've ever witnessed firsthand.

My incident was valve off but still under pressure, being a DHit put additional torque on the yoke which bent, no pressure loss.

as to o rings, the yoke o ring failures happen most often from neglect (hard from age) or not having the yoke properly seated when pressurized.
those o rings that crack are our own fault for not having checked them prior to use, when I’m in Yokeland I make it a habit to check the suppleness and set aside tanks that look like the will fail soon.

asfor DIN I have had that o ring fall out when changing tanks, no system is foolproof.

while it may be theoretically possible to knock a yoke loose (off) in use it’s likely that a long chain of nearly impossible events would have to precede it.

I'm not sure where this distinction between "failed yoke" and "blown oring" is coming from?

Several times I have seen a yoke get wacked, there's enough jiggle to create an Oring leak even if the yoke still seems attached to the valve and isnt knocked completely off the tank.

Is everyone in agreement that the din is more robust? I get that there are pros / cons.. but robustness.. strong like bull. Is din that?

Edit: have never seen, but heard of the possibility
Never has everyone been in agreement on anything! lol.

More to the point, this poll is specifically about one theoretical failure mode.

I did have a buddy once who got his yoke reg stuck on the tank valve. The reg was not under pressure, the yoke screw was unscrewed, but for the life of him he could not get it to disengage from the tank valve. I couldn't either nor could the boat crew. He had to take the entire assembled rig into a dive shop. They were able to finally get it off. I have no clue what the issue was. It was so strange. Other than the perennial issue with blown/leaking valve o-rings, that is the only other "yoke" issue I've ever witnessed firsthand.
This happens with a yoke bolt being incompatible with the size/depth of the “dimple” on the valve.

I'm not sure where this distinction between "failed yoke" and "blown oring" is coming from?

Several times I have seen a yoke get wacked, there's enough jiggle to create an Oring leak even if the yoke still seems attached to the valve and isnt knocked completely off the tank.
A poorly maintained O-ring leaking or blowing out is one thing. Having an impact knock it loose or break the the yoke clean off is a totally different thing (and has been claimed as a significant reason for yoke vs. DIN decisions). You are the first person to say you've seen the yoke get impacted being the cause of the leak (dislodged). I'm curious if that was at the surface, or during a dive, and if the preexisting condition of the O-ring was a factor.

Respectfully,

James

The DIN connection, for higher pressure, is certainly more secure; but the valves themselves are surprisingly delicate and far more prone to damage than are K-valves, etc; so too, the exposed threads of a DIN regulator . . .

A poorly maintained O-ring leaking or blowing out is one thing. Having an impact knock it loose or break the the yoke clean off is a totally different thing (and has been claimed as a significant reason for yoke vs. DIN decisions). You are the first person to say you've seen the yoke get impacted being the cause of the leak (dislodged). I'm curious if that was at the surface, or during a dive, and if the preexisting condition of the O-ring was a factor.

Respectfully,

James
twice on the surface, once underwater. The yoke itself was still on the tank, just with a slightly extruded Oring in one case and just bubbles in the other two

Like any oring leak, the condition of the oring leads to a leak. DIN orings can leak too

Back
Top Bottom