Havent used my mask in 8 years - do I need to replace it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's definitely an extra lens that was bonded to the original mask. I guess I'll take it to the dice store next week and see if they can transer it. Other than old age, my other main concern was a small crack on the mask where the strap is held. It seems strong right now, but I guess it would suck for it to break on a dive.

my other main concern was a small crack on the mask where the strap is held.
There is no such thing as a "small" crack. Crack are cracks.

Is it a crack in the strap? Or a crack on the mask near the strap holder? A cracked strap can easily be replaced with a new strap. A cracked strap holder will likely require the replacement of the mask. Or very large amounts of duck tape, glue and binder twine.

Be proactive - fix it before you dive. The dive it ends up screwing with will likely cost you more in $ and general anoyment than a replacement mask.

I had a mask sitting in the closet for about 15 years. I've been using it, with the original strap, for the last 3 years without any problems.

It's definitely an extra lens that was bonded to the original mask. I guess I'll take it to the dice store next week and see if they can transer it. Other than old age, my other main concern was a small crack on the mask where the strap is held. It seems strong right now, but I guess it would suck for it to break on a dive.

Here's a youtube video of a lady diver experiencing a mask issue (hopefully you'd react in a calmer manner if your mask broke mid-dive)

[h=1]Montego Bay Scuba Dive 3 of 6 - Active panic in open water diver[/h]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tgqz5DdTBQ4

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom