Hawaii: big island versus other islands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NigerHadiza

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey everyone. Well, I am posting VERY early but am hoping to start hammering away at some ideas this Winter break when I head on home for the Christmas season. After my 2 year contract is finished here in Japan I am planning on meeting my mother and her friend along with my other friend in Hawaii. (this will be in July/August 2006)

Therefore, considering we have not chosen any one island yet, what do you all think? I am the ONLY scuba diver and am planning on doing that at least two or three days possibly. The others are only beach goers and sight-seeing people.

Based on the time that we're going and the fact that I am the only diver, which island would be the best *bang for our buck*. I really want to see Hawaii and check out the volcanoes, etc and also see manta rays, dolphins and some of the other locals.

I am not looking to do any really challenging dives. I just want to make the most of what I will have! We will probably be there for a little over a week.

Any help would be great! Also accommodations too??????

This will be the first of many endorsements for the Big ISland. Excellent diving, red hot lava, varied climate, world class fishing, great scenery, interesting historical sites (pre Capt. Cook), and it is big. I like renting a place so we can do our own cooking and save a few bucks on that. I would center in Kona and take a couple of days down at the volcano.

It sounds like Maui might be your best bet. It has a really nice mix of topside and underwater activities... so much of both that you could easily spend months doing one or the other!

Also, if your friends/family don't much enjoy airlines, they should be able to book flights direct from the mainland to Maui.

Let me know if you would like further tips on Maui from a visitor's perspective.

Well Anna, if you want to see live volcanos and do the manta ray dive - The Big Island is the Island for you. I've only been there once and that was just for one day to do the volcano tour so you'll have to take everyone elses judgement on that....If you want to talk about Oahu...then I can chime in :D

I dove the big Island last christmas and it was awesome. Swam through and 80 ft. hollow lava tube, dove a spot called the Pentagon, which is another lava tube structure, did a drift dive and saw all sorts of critters. Everything from eels, turtles, Baracuda and every make of fish it seemed. The dives were very easy and we went as a group. Nice that that the DM's didn't hold our hands, rule was tell the DM when you were at 3-500 psi and head up. Sandy bottoms, corral, whales!!! Just about everything. There is also a night dive with mantas, but I missed out on it. I hear if you go, it is a must dive. I stayed at the mauna lani resort, the dive boat took off from their shore, and the night dive was in front of their hotel. Did a two tank dive same day. Best vacation of my life!
Also there are helicotper tours of the jungle and volcano with flowing lava.

Hope this helps ya out, all it did was make me miss Hawaii that much more!!

I have lived on Maui, Big Isle and now Oahu. Hands down, no questions asked, Big Isle....Just so much to do and see. Check out the sea horse farm thread here as well as the worlds most active volcano, 21 years of nonstop eruption to date. Drive to the top of the worlds tallest single peak and play in the snow. Spend the bucks and do the 2 hour helo tour. I could go on for hours about the big isle. Maui is nice but oh so packed. Oahu sucks. The other isles are very spendy but very quiet.

the big island is my favorite too. it pretty much has it all, although you will have to look hard for sand. with its active volcano, rain forest, snow capped peaks and off-road desert like trails, it's its own little world. if you want mantas and lava, this is the one to hit. if you make it to the volcano house, throw another log on the fire for me. :)

Oooo, where in Japan? The wife and I go every other year for 3-4 weeks; usually fall and spring seasons.

I'm definitely partial to the Big Island, but in your case I'd suggest Maui. Yeah, it's got horrid traffic/crowd problems but it's kinda/sorta like a smaller version of the Big Island. The drive to Hana is like a drive along the Hamakua coast; the latter has the bigger vistas but the feeling for green is the same and maybe a little more intimate. The drive upcountry is through pasture and is like the drive through Kamuela/Waimea/Kohala but with a definite slope. Poking around Haleakala's cinder summit is like the Saddle Road/Mauna Kea; the Big Island's Volcanoes Natl Park really has no equivalent. To me, a few days on the Big Island can't do it justice; there's too much to explore and it's so spread out. Shore diving the Kona coast has no equivalent but so too is Maui's Molokini islet. Kauai, Lanai, Molokai are for "advanced" travelers who know what they want; mainly, to kick back...

I say the Big Island. When will you ever get the chance to see an active volcano up close? Just plan that prior to your diving as it will affect off-gassing.

As far as I know, only the Big Island can "almost" guarantee manta sightings. Drive to Hilo for the botanical gardens. Find the black and/or green sand beach.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom