Hawaii: big island versus other islands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

By up close she means close enough to roast a hot dog on a stick, when the lava is on the surface.

Wow. Thanks everyone. I will surely look into everything and also see what my friends and family want to do. My brother and his partner went to Hawaii last year as well so hopefully they will have some ideas too. :) Thanks again! Looking forward to it!

NigerHadiza:
I live in Utsunomiya, Japan. Where do you two go normally?

That's north of Tokyo? We have family in Japan but rarely visit them. My wife has family down south in Iwakuni, but we usually just blast by there on the Shinkansen; apparently, they own a helluva lot of land. I have a cousin working up at Misawa AFB in Aomori, but the kind of work she does basically doesn't allow human contact anymore -- "I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you", that kind of deal. So I stay away from her. We usually hit the main cities from Kyushu all the way up into Hokkaido. We usually base out of one city (this last time it was Osaka) and use the trains to get around (this last time we got down to Kagoshima); driving is out of the question. I just follow along. My wife handles everything. I can read kana enough to save my life, some kanji (more like recognize the pictogram than read, actually). I understand speech even less; just words here and there, enough to catch the drift. I'm basically the team idiot -- which gets embarassing sometimes. For example, the guy at the desk will be looking at me, the deaf-mute, but the conversation is really with my wife. I just put on my "shogun" act, as in "Yeah buddy, I hear you but you'll just have to talk to my assistant here". Works rather well actually. Also makes for interesting situations: At a restaurant once, we were seated between a Japanese couple and an obviously American couple (good'ole boy accents). My wife and I were talking when I noticed that the Japanese couple were giving us strange looks and one whispered a comment to the other that sounded like "Gee, they speak really good english". Then I glance at the American couple and they're giving us the same weird eyeballs and I hear the lady whisper, "Ya know, they're speaking really good english".

That is really quite funny about the English speaking part. I can definately see where that would happen!

Yeah, I living about 3 hours north of Tokyo. It's quite a small city but big enough to get what I need to get to live and stay happy. Sounds like you have seen a lot of this country. I will hopefully get to see more in the spring when my brother comes to vosit me.

Well, my mother has spoken to someone that is recommending Oahu. Of course we would like to see Pearl Harbor too. Would it be better to just stay on Oahu and then fly to the Big Island for the volcano if we wanted?

Of course with diving I will have to watch out with flying, volcano climbing, etc. Is there also good and easy diving on Oahu? I would like to see dolphins too. What about pineapple fields? My mother also wants to go to one of those.

It is hard travelling with more than just one other person! Any suggestions again? Sorry!

NigerHadiza:
Well, my mother has spoken to someone that is recommending Oahu. Of course we would like to see Pearl Harbor too. Would it be better to just stay on Oahu and then fly to the Big Island for the volcano if we wanted?

Yes, Roberts offers the fly over tour thing - it went a bit fast for my taste, but it was nice. You could also do the helicopter thing and get closer to the "red" lava. It is an early morning flight (I think they picked us up at around 5:30AM), take this into consideration when you plan your dives.

Of course with diving I will have to watch out with flying, volcano climbing, etc. Is there also good and easy diving on Oahu? I would like to see dolphins too. What about pineapple fields? My mother also wants to go to one of those.

It is hard travelling with more than just one other person! Any suggestions again? Sorry!

Boat diving is easy here and Oahu has the most wrecks to dive. I'm sure you would enjoy it.
If I remember right there are two places that you can really get up close and friendly with dolphins. The one being the Kahala Mandrin Hotel and the other Sea Life Park. There are other charters that take you out on a boat, but first you won't get that close and there isn't a guarantee that you will see dolphins.
Over on the North, going West, side of the island you can see the pineapple fields and visit the dole plantation. I have walked the maze with friends and it is pretty fun. I still can't imagine that someone has walked the maze in something like 7 or so minutes (I think that's right). Crazy!

I have attached a picture I took of the pineapple fields.

Hey! I just saw something!...Happy Birthday Anna!!!

Thank you so much. Yes, it is my birthday....27. I'm a youngster. ;-)

Anyone have any suggestions for some decent rental properties on (Kailua Beach..spelling?)...at a pretty great price. There will be only 4 of us and I really don't want to pay a fortune, but of course not stay in a place that isn't suitable.

Thanks again for everyone's help!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom