Hawaii diving logistics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have lived on Oahu for the last couple of years. The North Shore dive sites will be blown out in January but you should be able to get out on a dive boat and see the wrecks. Makaha caverns and Hanauma bay may will be diveable with a little luck. If you want someone to dive with let me know and I can show you around. I don't know about the Big Island diving yet, I am going over for a week of diving the first part of August so I will let you know then. (Anyone out there know of a good dive shop I can rent tanks at on the Big Island?) IMHO you should pay your respects at the Arizona, it is something you will never forget.

lee08:
I have lived on Oahu for the last couple of years. The North Shore dive sites will be blown out in January but you should be able to get out on a dive boat and see the wrecks. Makaha caverns and Hanauma bay may will be diveable with a little luck. If you want someone to dive with let me know and I can show you around. I don't know about the Big Island diving yet, I am going over for a week of diving the first part of August so I will let you know then. (Anyone out there know of a good dive shop I can rent tanks at on the Big Island?) IMHO you should pay your respects at the Arizona, it is something you will never forget.

In Kona there are many shops. Scuba Shop Too and Big Isle are both good. In Kawaihae, go for Mona Kea Divers...I have seen Bats and Mantas in both Maui and Bis Isle during daylight as well as night. From what Im told, the manta dive is becoming quite the circus with three and four boats on each mooring.

Last year about this time of July we dove off Kona the Big Island to see the Mantas. We took two days of diving on the Big Island to improve our chances. We were quite dissapointed not to see them. The diving in Hawaii is not near as good as the Carribean, although it depends where in the Carribean you've been. Hawaii is about equal to Freeport Bahamas divng, not allot of fish life, however the coral is way better in the Bahamas. We also dove off Maui for a couple of days, from what I saw Molokini backside was about the best, other than that the Hawaiian islands is not really a world class dive destination. We have not dove off Oahu yet but we'll be there next year on a return from New Guinea. I'm currently thinking about not diving while I'm there, but I'm sure we'll snorkel. While we were on Maui, snorkeling at Black Rock was as good as diving was anywhere we've been in Hawaii, although you must understand 4 days of diving is a very limited experience diving in Hawaii. I have a friend who lives on Kuai who has traveled three times to Hawaii (the Big Island) to see the Mantas and he has been skunked each time.
If I were you and you don't know if you'll be back,I'd give yourself a one day chance at seeing the Mantas, then go to Kuai and most likely your plane originates out of Oahu where the Arizona is located, stay one extra night, like you said you might not be back.

Dive Safe,
Caymaniac

justleesa:
how's the plan coming along?

From this forum, I have ascertained the following facts:

---Kona is the best place to dive in HI and it is the only place that has the Manta Ray dive.

---But in winter, the west coast areas are rough and the temp is in the lower 70's (brrrr) and the Mantas may not show up.

--I get sea sick easily -- just give me a little rough water and maybe add some deisel fumes and I start to heave.

---Kauai, where I will be staying for my meeting, is not a good place to dive.

--- It costs $100.00 pp each way to go between islands, and since I am traveling with my husband, that would be $400.00 plus the cost of the dives to go on one Manta Ray Dive which may be rough and for which it is hit or miss as to whether the Mantas show up.

Conclusion: It may not be worth it to try diving in HI.

What say ye? :06:

I'm not sure that Kauai is "not a good place to dive" -- it's just not the best in Hawaii.

You could arrange to go diving on Oahu, then there's no additional airfare -- you just add a day between when you come from Kauai and when you leave from Honolulu.

Remember the adage: "A bad day diving is still a good day!"

So what can I see in Oahu? And is there a dive operation that you could recommend? I need someone that can handle Nitrox.

KrisB:
I'm not sure that Kauai is "not a good place to dive" -- it's just not the best in Hawaii.

You could arrange to go diving on Oahu, then there's no additional airfare -- you just add a day between when you come from Kauai and when you leave from Honolulu.

Remember the adage: "A bad day diving is still a good day!"

From this forum, I have ascertained the following facts:

---Kona is the best place to dive in HI and it is the only place that has the Manta Ray dive. All depends...if you like wrecks then Oahu is the place to be :D

---But in winter, the west coast areas are rough and the temp is in the lower 70's (brrrr) and the Mantas may not show up. A 5mm suit will take care of that...all depends on what you like and are used to. I have no trouble in a 3mm, the dive master just wears a skin and others put on a 5mm and then a 5mm shorty on top of that. What do you usually wear?

--I get sea sick easily -- just give me a little rough water and maybe add some deisel fumes and I start to heave. Believe me, I am the queen of heave - but the pills (maybe a patch from your doctor?) will do the trick, honest.

---Kauai, where I will be staying for my meeting, is not a good place to dive.

As Kris says, at least you'd be diving and who knows? It might be your lucky day and you get up close and friendly with a Humpback ( BTW, while you are here it will be whale season)...or at least hear the whale song....it is really something special.

--- It costs $100.00 pp each way to go between islands, and since I am traveling with my husband, that would be $400.00 plus the cost of the dives to go on one Manta Ray Dive which may be rough and for which it is hit or miss as to whether the Mantas show up. This one is valid...Inter-Island flights are getting exspensive....But you might wanna check out some package deals...since it is off season you might get a good offer. Also what Kris says is true, most likely you will have to fly thru Oahu to get to Kauai'i or home...extend a day or two and do a dive while you're here...Come dive the wrecks with me! :D As for Hotel, the Sand Villa is a nice, clean and affordable place...it is on the Ala Wai and about 3 blocks from the beach

Conclusion: It may not be worth it to try diving in HI. It's always worth it!

What say ye? :06: Now what think ye? :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom