HDR-HC9 or HDR-SR12

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've wondered about the possibility that the CMOS chip in my HC-7 may be problematic, especially in view of the good results other divers get with that camcorder. I have yet to shoot with it in clear tropical waters so that may be a factor.

Hi Bill,

Was shooting with a HC 9 in waters similar to Catalina. 30-80 foot viz. during our last shoot. However, the water temp was 1.1 C. The results with the housing and dual 50 watt HD lights was terrific. During editing I didn't notice too much in the way of noise with the one chipper CMOS. For a budget HD system I'd have to say I was impressed.

X

Khaled:

As far as housing prices go, I would say prices are roughly the same for either camera. The variance is really by manufacturer. Amphibico and Light and Motion can be very high-tech and get really pricey, Ikelite and Gates not as pricey and a bit lower tech, and Top Dawg is pretty cheap and it shows. Again, I don't own a video housing for this camera yet, but the Light and Motion Stingray housing I used with the Hi8 camera was very good. I've shot with L&M still housings for years and also really enjoyed them. I've known and spoken to many Ikelite and Gates owners who have also been very happy with their housings. I've never met a Top Dawg owner.

You can check each manufacturer's web site directly to compare pricing and availability for the cameras, see what's in your budget, and then go work a deal! And don't forget about lighting! Best of luck!

As suggested - talk to owners of the various units. I have used many of the housings before and have dealt with the companies for post-purchase service. In my experiences I would not use L & M again. Chiefly for the reason of customer support. When something needs to be serviced, it doesn't hurt when a manufacturer stands behind the product without saying it needs to be update with more expensive parts, or that you're now on your own!

Additionally, Gates is not an inexpensive housing. It's a PRO housing. While mechanical in nature, it's very sturdy and well designed.

X

My suggestion on this topic is the same as Livewire, I to am waiting on a housing for my SR12, it is a fantastic camera that takes video too!!LOL I have taken some great video on land with it so far. As for the housings, I went with a Light & Motion Bluefin, it had every thing I wanted including WB, I also like the electronic push buttons and the large screen on the back. I have seen the gates also, some like it because of it's manual controls not malfunctioning, I didn't like the external video screen on top as it just seem to be out there asking to be hit. Ikelite seems to have a nice housing for the camera but I don't like the mirror on the side of the housing to view from, it just seems cheap to me, but to others it works fine. I know nothing about the Amphibico housing so can't comment, Equinox has a housing out but 1st round wasn't that appeasing, still waiting to se the retrofit. As for the lighting systems thats a whole other chapter. Good luck on your chose and Safe Diving!!!

I have the Sony HDR-SR11 (exactly the same as the 12 but only 60 gig HD instead of 120) These two cams are arguably the best consumer HD video cams ever made. I don't think the HDV (tape) cams are better any more. When AVCHD (hard drive style) first came out the problem was the bit rate. . . the HDV cams (by design) can only record 1440x1080 resolution. Most have a sensor that converts it to 1920x1080 (the pixels aren't square) with the AVCHD codec you can utilize full HD resolution 1920x1080, but only 60i and not 60p like Blu Ray. If you press the display button on your bluray player you will notice most Blu Rays don't exceed the 14-16 Mbs range. The Sony 11 and 12 can record (in it's best mode) 16Mbs. HDV is a thing of the past. The only thing stopping the AVCHD cams like mine from being the standard already is because you have to have immense amounts of computer power to edit the stuff. . . that is changing too. A lot of computers are coming standard with Quad Core processors. . . Anyway, I have a 52" Sony XBR5 TV (The best Sony makes) and the footage I have taken so far is awesome. . . I really haven't done much in the way of editing it yet but I am very pleased. . . Anyway, I don't think we will see a better consumer level HD cam than the Sonys until someone makes one that does 1920x1080 60P. . . essentially the quality of Blu Ray (as long as the bit rate stays high enough). . . which won't happen for a while and when it does it will probably cost over 2K. . . I just got a Sony HD SPK-HCD. It's a cheap underwater housing (I got it off Amazon for 160.00) and is only rated to 20 feet. . . I just tested it in the pool today. . . worked fine at 10 feet:D but I don't understand why it won't work at 30-40 feet. I think maybe Sony rated it really conservatively. . .I plan to test it (with out the cam inside) to 30 or 40 feet. If it works this is a lot cheaper than the Ikelite and you can see a lot of cool stuff at 30-40 feet. . . anyone else out there tried this? BTW, this housing uses a cord that plugs into your cam inside and allows you to control it via buttons on top of the housing. Very good concept and easy to use. . . too bad it can't go deeper. . .

Dustin

Last edited:
Keep us posted, Dustin! I'd love to hear how things go with your testing of that housing. I haven't been able to look at this housing and hold it in my hands to inspect it for quality of construction, materials, etc., but my guess is that if you take it deeper than rated, you'll probably have trouble with the controls at first and flooding next. The rating is most likely based on how much pressure the controls and seals can handle, and at 33 feet you're at 2 ATM of pressure, close to double the pressure you were at in your pool at 10 feet (1.3 ATM). I'm sure they build in some margin of safety, but who knows what that would be and under what conditions that margin really can stand. Meaning if it works at 35 feet for you in cold water, will at also work at 35 feet in warm water? Or will it work at 35 feet if a current starts blowing?

For $160 you really can't go wrong, though, and again really curious to hear how it goes with this housing!

I just purchased the SR12 a few weeks ago, no housing yet, but I must say not having to deal with tapes is great. Also, while I know there has been some concern about image quality around here, I must say in my opinion the image quality is amazing. I don't have an HDTV yet (coming next month!), but I burned a DVD and took my test shots to Best Buy and played it on a 52" Sony HDTV/Blue-ray setup and holy toledo was I impressed. Rich color depth, great contrasts, and as you'd expect really sharp high quality imaging.

In truth my experience level with video is low, as my great passion is shooting stills, so I may have a less critical eye when it comes to this. I have previously only shot with Hi8, so by comparison it's a huge leap forward. Anyway, Ikelite and Light and Motion both now have housings for the SR12, as well as others (Top Dawg I think has one too?) so I think you should have no worries finding a housing.

While I know its highly rated, I can't speak for the HC-9. With either choice, you'll need to get some software for editing. Sony Vegas easily reads the video directly from the camera so you can use this with the Sony DVD Architect software to burn to DVD. Honestly, I probably won't do much video editing right now as my PC is a little behind the times so I only have the horsepower to burn DVDs without doing too much manipulation, but bear these things in mind as well.

Hope this helps you!

Hi I also bought this video camera 2 weeks ago , still playing around, can't get it to burn footage onto a DVD direct using the button on the Handycam Station (Disc Burn), am I missing something?
I agree when I run some footage and connect to my plasma TV using HDMI cable I
also was impressed!

I just got a Sony HD SPK-HCD. It's a cheap underwater housing (I got it off Amazon for 160.00) and is only rated to 20 feet. . . I just tested it in the pool today. . . worked fine at 10 feet:D but I don't understand why it won't work at 30-40 feet. I think maybe Sony rated it really conservatively. . .I plan to test it (with out the cam inside) to 30 or 40 feet. If it works this is a lot cheaper than the Ikelite and you can see a lot of cool stuff at 30-40 feet. . . anyone else out there tried this?
Dustin
Someone's recently had one to 16': http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/underwater-videography/247538-sony-snorkle-housing-report.html

As long as it doesn't leak, I've read that on some poly still housings that are taken beyond their max depth the controls simply become impossible to push. Any creaking or popping and I'd come up fast.

Risk a $1200 camera in a $160 housing? Not me... $30 more buys you a Nemo 200 depth rated to 120' off eBay. No controls though.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom