He won a trip 2 Socorro Islands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jim ~ I think that you may have misunderstood my concern with this trip, which is seeking advise and knowledge about a trip like this for new divers. My BF and I have been together for over 8 years now and we definitely know about give and take and keeping our own individuality. Scuba diving in one of my passions and this is my part of me being an individual. I asked my BF to join me at a Shark Conservation Seminar, where he won the ticket. He normally wouldn’t attend a seminar like this, but joined me to be a part of my passion. Since he has won the trip, he will need to get certified in order to dive. My concern is for our safety diving in the conditions at this location and being on a live aboard for the first time with limited emergency resources. I myself have only been ocean diving twice and this will be his first time. I recall my concerns on a 50’ dive. Constantly checking my equipment, working on buoyancy, etc. I'm not sure this is the place to being "getting used to" your equipment and diving skills, but maybe it is if we do shallow dives? If we had a ton of money, practicing our skills in this type of environment would sound realistic, but unfortunately we have limited resources. We will be saving everything we can so that he can get certified and I can pay for my spot on the trip. I appreciate your concern with him being able to do this “once in a lifetime” opportunity, but I don’t think I’m being selfish when I’m concerned with BOTH of our safety and enjoyment, honestly, I think it would be even worse if he had to experience this alone, and for the first time, without the girl he is in love with and introduced him to the sport in the first place.

Don’t get me wrong we both want to go, but I think we need more experience with the sport before we can take on this adventure. There is still a lot of thinking, research, education, and advice needed before we go. After all, we do have a year to plan and you never know what can happen between now and then.

I just returned from 8 days diving in Socorro Islands. The trip was amazing to say the least. That being said the diving can be challenging. I dove off the Nautilus Explorer and much off the diving involves skiffs and you will have to deal with some current and surge. Your comfort level and experience will be important factors in deciding whether you should go on this trip or wait for another time. You can PM and I will be happy to give you more details about what to expect.

Fair enough. Sorry for my rant. I'm not at all bitter about the crap that was pulled on me by my exes. That said I'm going to offer you a little practical advice. Really. Because in Pennsylvania once a person wins something it is theirs. To do with as they see fit. One of my students has a relative that is a Harley Davidson broker. He keeps tabs on as many drawings, contests, raffles, etc that offer Harleys. Many times the winners are for whatever reason unable to keep the bike. The contest promoters know this and will often offer a substitute cash prize of say 20-25K. Nice money. But he bike is worth 30-40K or more for specials. To collectors even more than that. He will buy the bike from the winner for a few grand more than the promoter offers. Use his contacts and flip it in a few days at the most.

So what is my point. The law says that this is not illegal. Once you win something it is yours to do with as you see fit. I would get on the phone to your state attorney generals office and ask them if what this shop is doing is legal. Unless they are the official agent and getting his passport info, visa info if required, and actually booking the flight( which I'm not aware of many airlines who will book more than 6-9 months in advance), how can they not allow you two to sell the trip to someone else. I'm sure the op does not care who does the trip. It is already paid for. What if he had won a scooter? Could they prohibit him from selling it? Hell no. Just seems awful strange that a non diver would win the trip and be in a position where he would have to go back to the lds and pay for ow, aow, and most likely buy gear because people who do these types of trips rarely rent unless they rent it from, surprise, the lds so they know the gear is good to go. You two would also most likely have to go on a couple trips that they offer to get the experience required, still more money for the shop, to be comfortable. By the time you are all done with that he has paid for that "free" trip.

I hope you follow up on this. Because what it would do if you can sell the trip to someone else for say 2200 you have enough cash to get him certified at another shop or, with even better, an independent instructor who will put your interests first and still have money to take a week in Roatan or the Keys for both of you. With diving more in your comfort zone and at considerably less stress all the way around. Again, sorry for the harshness of my other posts. I was thinking of this for some reason when I woke up this morning and the whole picture seemed to change.

Last edited:
She really should figure out if they could sell the trip and use the money for scuba related activities

Totally agree. Sell the trip, get some training for the BF and do a trip to Roatan or some other easy diving destination to get some more experience.

She really should figure out if they could sell the trip....

Totally agree. Sell the trip ...

Deputy Dan, ncchuck...did you read the entire thread?

My BF also talked with the dive shop where we obtained the ticket and they said it is non-transferrable

Jim~ Thanks for the apology, much accepted. I understand that we all read into things differently based on our own past experiences. In all reality this is a decision for both of us to make, coz neither one of us would want to go without the other. We have thought about the idea of trying to sell the ticket, but the dive shop did say it is non-transferrable. I don't think we would want to take it as far as going to the Atty General. Rather, we still have a bunch of thinking to do before we go on this trip and if we decide not to go, would like to see someone else more experienced and willing, to go. Still, we haven't made a final decision yet.

Currently, I'm trying to find a cheap trip we can take after he gets his certification, but before we go so that we can both get more comfortable with the sport. If we can't find something in our price range there's always pool practice and local lakes in the summer, given we can find a guide to take us out in the murkey, cold, low viz lakes we have here.

Anyways, more suggestions on the conditions at Socorro, what can we expect from a live aboard and just general feedback on the trip is always helpful. We really don't know what to expect and I think thats what make us both very hesitent about the trip. We're thinking about safety, ability to dive the conditions, overall enjoyability and of course our budget :p

Getting some local dives in is always good. Some of my most rewarding dives in terms of learning and adding to my comfort level have been shallow, low vis, and cool to cold temps. A little more advice. Look at EVERY dive as a skills dive. Even if for only 10 minutes. Work on a skill. Consciously. If you are on reef make it a point to at some place during the dive to say to yourselves- " we are going to swim the next ten minutes in perfect buddy position and not vary our depth by more than 2 feet." Then the next time another similar skill. Do this also in your local sites. Watch what happens. I think you will be pleased.

I have never been diving there. I do a lot of reading about areas that interest me but my knowledge of these islands is strictly second hand. One source I look to for reader reports is Undercurrent Magazine (available online,or page 252 divers chapbook 2010). To quote one diver with between 500 and 1,000 dives "This is not for new or casual divers". I suggest some reading about the diving there here on scubaboard. A lesson sometimes learned through bad experiences is that you should never be afraid to call a dive if you are not comfortable with it. Don't let anyone "talk you into" doing something for which you don't feel ready. When I took my wife to Roatan for her first ocean dives (and first dives after certifying) our first dive was at Marys Place. One of the deeper dives and through a somewhat narrow cleft. she was nervous so I told the dm that we would just hang around on top of the reef and meet them when they came up. We had a nice stress free experience. After trips to the Bahamas and Bonaire we went to Fiji and the GBR where she faced some very strong currents but had no difficulty. All things in their time. Perhaps as an option you could consider letting him go while you save up for a more mellow and less expensive trip where you could both get some good experience in less challenging environs. Or you could just go for it and join him. Just don't let anyone talk you into anything. Diving is one of the greatest hobbies you can imagine. Enjoy it at your own pace.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom