headache

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

But with deeper breathing will i consume more air? the dive was based on my air consumption becouse i was newest diver i had 300 left when others had 1100 left

I got wicked CO2 headaches for the longest time. It was when I first started to not think about my breathing. I just skip breath naturally, you see... and this causes CO2 buildup. These would go away after a little while, but they were rippers.

Training myself to breath properly elliminated the headaches and, consequently, also improved my SAC.

However, though it was probably just CO2, and especially if the headache is still there CALL DAN.

well the headacks gone now its the next morning iv been reading some other info on dcs around the forms and it says lack of sleep and not being hydrated can increase the chances of dcs, i had a party the night before and had a few beer and also didnt have all that much sleep. i felt fine before the dives tho. next dive im gonna be well rested and lots of fluids

Most likely to be CO2.

Brand0n:
But with deeper breathing will i consume more air? the dive was based on my air consumption becouse i was newest diver i had 300 left when others had 1100 left

Deeper breathing will allow your lungs more time for the O2/CO2 exchange. This scavenges the excess CO2 from your lungs and causes more O2 to be absorbed into your bloodstream. So actually, it should help conserve your air supply. Just remember not to hold your breath. Breathe all the way in, then all the way out with little or no pause, repeat, etc. It has helped me with my consumption and helps you to relax. The only problem it causes me, is when I'm perfectly neutral, I tend to rise slightly with a full breath and sink slightly when I exhale completely. It takes a little practice to time it right so the rise/sink cycle cancels itself out.

Brandon, check your wetsuit isn't too tight around your neck and the hood if you use one. Since using a larger wetsuit the headaches have gone. Skip breathing and overexertion were the other things I narrowed it down to. Also Iv'e been told if you're a bigger kind of guy you will retain more than the skinnier divers.

If there's anything else or the headaches don't away see a dive doctor. Even though I don't get headaches anymore I've had DCS symptoms (2h after) for my last 7 dives, each time getting progressively worse. Persistance did not improve things. Its not worth the risk, I had to learn that the hard way.

Back
Top Bottom