Headed to Dahab, are the safari's worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1.5 hours each way, thats 3 hours! Thats why all the guides are fighting not to do it. I have actually seen people get motion sick on a camel (and not just sick due to the smell).

As for the smell of burnt rubbish and sewage, you just described Assala perfectly!

Maybe these were the same two..(at Shaab Saeed on way back from Gabr El Bint)
They circled around and around us before heading reef bound in one graceful swoop :D

eaglerays.jpg

Last edited:
you don't have to sit on the camel lol, it's quicker and more comfortable to stroll it. well scenic. just did it last week(back in blighty now) and it was the highlight of my trip. well good place to stay overnight and chill out with a bottle of local spirits:)

must admit i do enjoy a day on a boat though, but don't hink i could ever do it at RAG

to the regiment

Gabr El Bint was nice the other day:

..and all that without there arse-numbing pain and tedium of a few hours on a festering, smelly camel!

I saw this one at Moray Gardens

IMG_2132.jpg

I had to duck to let it swim over my head, then it swam off and attacked my buddy's reg hoses

IMG_2134.jpg

I agree whole heartedly with your assessment of camels btw :)

quality lol

You don't need to ride the camel if (like me) you don't like it. I just walk at my normal pace, and I go faster than the camels carrying the other tourists. Of course heat is a factor to be considered.

Several dive sites in Ras Abu Gallum cannot be practically accessed (no moorings) by most daily boats that have no RIB, but these dive sites are straightforward from the shore. By the way, that's why shore diving is still the norm around Dahab. I prefer camel safaris than boat diving in Ras Abu Gallum area, unless the boat has a RIB, a cooperative crew, and not many divers. Camels are flexible and allow small groups, but they are not for the lazy ; boats are a different story.

The same applies to the area of Gabr El Bint, apart from Gabr El Bint itself that has a sheltered, and very convenient, mooring. Other great places (like Shaggurat) can be a bit complicated by boat if you don't have a RIB. But it depends upon sea conditions and upon the boat, the captain, the guides, and the other divers.

I consider Gabr El Bint (north side) and Shaggurat as must-do dives in Dahab.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom