Headed to Dahab, are the safari's worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We happened to meet a more romantic turtle- It got in love with my wife, I got jealous :wink: - just joking- it got the sh*t out me scared. A turtle can easily bite a nice chunk of sturdy coral so the last thing I'd recommend is to try starting playing games with it (Actually better to avoid any interaction with any fish or creature). It just caught us in surprise, and probably wasn't looking for any "kiss gesture" but rather checking if the mask's silicone skirt is something edible...

Back to the subject..

The camel ride into Ras Abu Galum is a nice experience, there are better dive sites of course, but you'll probably remember the whole affair as a great experience. With the whole setup, camel with tanks and scuba gear, diver on top it also makes nice pictures.. In hot August summer it also makes you more anxious to get into the water, if you know what I mean :D

If I am limited in time, I'd make a day diving in Gabr El Bint, Blue hole (and its outer surroundings), and R. Abu Galum on Camels. More time? You can start adding sites from anywhere like the Canyon, Islands, Abu Helal etc.

Nice thing about Dahab is that most of these popular dive sites are actually quite different, so every dive is a new dive, not something similar to previous one :cool2:

Attachments

• turtlekiss.jpg
    turtlekiss.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 50
Other great places (like Shaggurat) can be a bit complicated by boat if you don't have a RIB. But it depends upon sea conditions and upon the boat, the captain, the guides, and the other divers.

I consider Gabr El Bint (north side) and Shaggurat as must-do dives in Dahab.

Fantastic sites, but also Shaob Saeed, is one of my personal favourites in Dahab, thats where Lord Melch and I saw the 2 spotted Eaglerays after having seen 2 fantastic little turtles :-D

Captain Ahmed on Ghazala 6 is a fantastic captain, I regularly dive on this boat, and as yet have not had any problems with him or his staff.

Definitely dives to remember, thanks Scuba Sheep :D

i was there in March... I decided against the safari due to the fact that camels f...king stink (I've been around horses all my life, so it's not a city slicker thing) and they're slow.

there's enough diving around Dahab to keep you happy for a week i think, some of the dive sites really need a few visits to get a feel for them, especially if you have a camera.

the scenery is amazing though, the hills behind Dahab are very dramatic and provide the perfect backdrop :)

Idealy "gabr day" really is Shaggurat first then Gabr North then Sha'ab Saeed (spelling?) coming back.

Needs rare flat calm weather though ideally.

Idealy "gabr day" really is Shaggurat first then Gabr North then Sha'ab Saeed (spelling?) coming back.

Needs rare flat calm weather though ideally.

Gabr North and South, Shaggurat and Shaob . All are AWESOME dives..

+1 as per Scuba Sheep - Ghazala 6 and her Captain ACE - Excellent Scram too.. :D

What a great way to spend a day :)

:ppd:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom