Heading to FL in a couple days to start my CCR Cave course!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well today (day 2) was much more challenging for me. I got a very good lesson in patience, learning to handle multiple bottles & reels at Ginnie Springs. The reels had gotten into a jumbled mess & was trying to sort them out. Larry let me work it out, under his watchful eye, to learn the necessary skills. I did my first decompression dive on the rebreather. It was a good dive overall with a lot learned. Tomorrow, back to Peacock to fine tune the skills. Tomorrow is the last day for this go- round. I will take what I have learned & I will return to the quarry to prefect the skills for the next time.

Day 3 of my course, Back at Peacock. We went down the Peanut line up to about 1400 ft, then back & through the crossover to Olsen line & into Olsen sink. We then took a long leisurely "stroll" up Olsen, exploring along the way, to the cavern, picked up the primary reel & exited the cave for a 115 min. dive. These dives were primarily set up as acclimation dives with a few skills exercises thrown in to see how I handled things & give me a taste of this new branch of diving,.... I must say,... I'm hooked! Next time the skills exercises will come in earnest. Overall, my buoyancy wasn't too bad. My trim was off just a tad,..but should be easily corrected.

Were you cave-certified before taking CCR-Cave or just CCR-certified?

on which machine?

Were you cave-certified before taking CCR-Cave or just CCR-certified?

on which machine?

I am Full Cave certified with nearly 200 post training dives & have been certified on the rebreather for over a year with nearly 60 hrs on the unit. I am training on the Hollis PRISM2.

My only comment is that your cave instructor isn't an instructor with either of the two true cave training agencies the NACD or NSS-CDS.

That would be a huge caution light for a CCR Cave Instructor choice for most folks I know in Cave Country.

I expect the guys in Mexico(or a number of other places) might disagree with that.

My only comment is that your cave instructor isn't an instructor with either of the two true cave training agencies the NACD or NSS-CDS.

That would be a huge caution light for a CCR Cave Instructor choice for most folks I know in Cave Country.

The NACD do not even have a CCR cave course. I have Full Cave OC from the NACD, CCR cave with NSS-CDS, and sidemount Cave with IANTD, and all were with excellent instructors. I also happen to know Larry and he is an excellent instructor and I wouldn't hesitate in taking a course from him or recommending him to anyone. Enjoy your course and safe diving.

I expect the guys in Mexico(or a number of other places) might disagree with that.

If one was going to Mexico yes... To high springs... Not so much.

---------- Post added October 27th, 2014 at 10:43 PM ----------

The NACD do not even have a CCR cave course. I have Full Cave OC from the NACD, CCR cave with NSS-CDS, and sidemount Cave with IANTD, and all were with excellent instructors. I also happen to know Larry and he is an excellent instructor and I wouldn't hesitate in taking a course from him or recommending him to anyone. Enjoy your course and safe diving.

There are lots of good instructors in IANTD, TDI, NAUI and PADI. But when it comes to Cave courses, the standards are set by the NSS-CDS and the NACD. Every NSS and NACD instructor is an instructor for some other agency - because the prerequisite is being a Tec LEVEL instructor somewhere. I would hope a CCR Cave instructor somewhere along the line had NSS or NACD training... But hey that's just my 2 cents.

My only point was that I would be CAUTIOUS in doing CCR in a cave if the instructor wasn't NSS or NACD certified.... they could be great instructors - my view is that simply because the NSS/NACD standards are what defines the cave courses in the US makes a course as complex as ccr cave seem to be exactly what you'd want to see.

Last I checked I didn't say my advice was was dispositive... But rather cautionary. I have Full Cave with NSS and NACD and Technical Cave with IANTD and PADI TEC/REC and Cave DPV with TDI. I don't doubt the quality of other agencies. I'm just more comfortable knowing one of the agencies a cave instructor is rated with is one of the two organizations that created cave diving in the US.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom