heads up~ sale alert on CompactFlash cards

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bob3

Contributor
Reaction score
nt

May sound like a stupid question but...is there an adapter that exist for use of compact flash in a smartmedia camera...ie. Oly 4000

divemed06 once bubbled...
May sound like a stupid question but...is there an adapter that exist for use of compact flash in a smartmedia camera...ie. Oly 4000

You can save to them after you've filled your SM card - if you set them up as a drive (in a reader) but you can't save to them as you shoot, via a Smart Media slot. With SM you're still up against a 128 max.

K

So, Ken, why do they call them "smart" media cards. I would think that label would apply only to cards with more memory than 128MB. Heck, even I have more memory than that in my cabeza!

Dr. Bill

drbill once bubbled...
So, Ken, why do they call them "smart" media cards. I would think that label would apply only to cards with more memory than 128MB. Heck, even I have more memory than that in my cabeza!

Dr. Bill

Funny thing is, the "Smart" media cards are dumb compared to Compact Flash. With Smartmedia, the control circuitry is built into the camera... with Compact Flash, it's built into the card :wink:

drbill once bubbled...

Dr. Bill

They USED to be smart.

Heck, I used to be smart. Oly finally got a grip and put CF slots in even their P&S Cams. They're way behind the curve there. Even Nikon's entry level P&S have had CF.

Whatta ya gonna do?

With my C3000 zoom 5 years ago, I remember when the SM 128 was like $199.... had to have it. In less than 18 months, $49 on ebay.

Technology.

K

Hi Bob3, Is there any difference between the 512 MB Viking card and 512mb Simpletec?

You'll have to check the speed of the critters; the cheaper CF cards have slower speeds (in general) than the faster ones.
The speed becomes noticeable when you're shooting in RAW or TIFF format, using godzilla size files. Not very noticeable when shooting lower resolution JPEGs or video.
I'll read over the specs & see if I can answer your question better.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom