heard bad news while diving today

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was trying to come up with the darwin version of "everytime a bell rings, an angel gets it's wings". The only thing that I've come up with so far is "Every time you take life in strife, darwin takes a life." .. Not very good .. I'll keep working on it. :wink:

wilkie:
Hey, I have an idea ! Let's do some wild speculation in the other direction.....

Let's say that dive #1 = 100', 20min / EAN 32, makes him group K, 15 min later (now group I) he discovers his Rolex missing.....A quick check on his PADI EAN 32 chart shows 13 min. NDL @ 100'.....

Don't get me wrong, I'm not crazy about this profile, but it's not off the charts - 13 min. is 13min., and a Rolex is $$$$$.

More speculation.... He plans a 10min dive @ 100', followed by a 1min. stop @ 50' 3 min. assent to 15' ect.

Somewhere along the way, the plan goes up in smoke, and he get's bent.

Now is he still stupid, or would we be offering our best wishes, and hopes for a quick recovery ?

Hope that rolex pays the medical bills. :shakehead

wilkie:
Hey, I have an idea ! Let's do some wild speculation in the other direction.....

Let's say that dive #1 = 100', 20min / EAN 32, makes him group K, 15 min later (now group I) he discovers his Rolex missing.....A quick check on his PADI EAN 32 chart shows 13 min. NDL @ 100'.....

Don't get me wrong, I'm not crazy about this profile, but it's not off the charts - 13 min. is 13min., and a Rolex is $$$$$.

More speculation.... He plans a 10min dive @ 100', followed by a 1min. stop @ 50' 3 min. assent to 15' ect.

Somewhere along the way, the plan goes up in smoke, and he get's bent.

Now is he still stupid, or would we be offering our best wishes, and hopes for a quick recovery ?

No Watch is worth your life unless of course you are talking about a Patek Phillip minute repeater in 18kt gold in mint condition or a Frank Mueller of any type above the base model.

ScubaNorth:
No Watch is worth your life unless of course you are talking about a Patek Phillip minute repeater in 18kt gold in mint condition or a Frank Mueller of any type above the base model.

:rofl3: :rofl3:

Good One!

It's not about the watch, it's about the tables...Even without any SIT, the plan that I stated above is strait off the PADI RDP (EAN 32)..... 100' NDL 30 min.- - not that I advocate "pushing" tables.

It's also about the wild speculation that we do here on Scuba Board. As you may recall, the OP stated " Sketchy details " :popcorn:

Frankly, if I was to do the 'mask overboard' drill it would be because I couldn't think of any other way to stop someone from doing something very, very dangerous. I'll take my chances in court.

The only time I almost did it, I was actually going to put the mask in my pocket and take it on the dive with me. It would have 'magically appeared' once we got back to the dock.

On a private boat that does not belong to me, I have very little interest in drastic measures. Divers is as divers does and except for a stern presentation of the facts, I'm not doing much else except perhaps sitting out the dive myself so that I'm not complicit in the dangerous act.

R

biscuit7:
I was taught a pretty foolproof way of discouraging someone from diving in my rescue class. I have yet to use it in a real situation but I was close to it one day. If you throw someone's mask overboard, they're probably not diving.

R
Ya,
and you would find yourself going with the mask if it was mine......although I believe in surface intervals.......

I sure hope that we one day get more information, although the trial has been fun..

And going after a Patek Phillip minute repeater in 18kt gold in mint condition would be a very, very tough call. You might not get bent, right?

Are you guys sure this story isn't just some urban diving legend?? It sounds too far out in left field to be true. Or maybe some jerk was fooling around on the boat's radio. Please post the news account if it is true; I would sure like to read about it.

it didnt sound fake on the radio. i heard it myself. I heard the coast guard ask questions like "How fast did he come up" and the reply was faster then his bubbles, I heard them say he ran his air out at 100 ft. The coast guard said they were sending a flight out to them to take him to lee memorial. Im assuming Ft. Myers. I heard the captain ask if they had a deco chamber there. again, it was braking up a lot, so my details might not be right, but i know i heard "coast guard" and "diver in distress" I cant imagine it as a joke. Ive been looking for it in all the papers, and cant find nothing, because im curious too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom