Heated vests

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

k4kafka

Contributor
Reaction score
I am considering purchasing a heated vest for diving in colder water. Specifically seeking pro and con experience from owners of the Venture Heat Pro V3.

Henderson 5mm TherMAXX. Comfortable diving in 82+F tropical waters. Would like to expand my diving to mid 60’s - 70F waters.

Just by looking at the specs I am sceptical. Personally, having batteries inside a drysuit just gives me the heebejeebies thinking about it. Note #2, 30w is not very much. I just upgraded from Santis 55w to Trojans 70watts...
Electric heating in wetsuits, I know nothing about.

My buddy uses a V3 vest under his dry suit for rec dives here and loves it. Keeps him warm in 50° water even when he flooded his trilam and was only wearing a base layer (he did get cold, but only after 30 minutes). My wife used it under a 5mm wetsuit here and kept her core plenty warm but her extremities got cold. The dual batteries last a good long while. The fact that the whole thing is waterproof makes it a decent go between for wet and dry diving imo.

Just by looking at the specs I am sceptical. Personally, having batteries inside a drysuit just gives me the heebejeebies thinking about it. Note #2, 30w is not very much. I just upgraded from Santis 55w to Trojans 70watts...
Thank you for your reply

I'm a very happy user of the Venture Heat under my drysuit.

Fortunately, I do not use split-fins, so I'm not going to die (at least from the heated vest)

Fortunately, I do not use split-fins, so I'm not going to die (at least from the heated vest)
It probably works just fine... I have just been close to a friend whose heater-battery decided to go kaboom in 60meters of water... We were very happy we could get it off his plate and away from the suit. Hence... a slight bit sceptical.
However... most of my "scepticality" came from the 30watts... but that was before the OP posted the temps he wanted to dive in... :D

Which model and in what water temperatures.

I recently purchased a Venture Heat Pro 2 (D616A) and have used it wet and dry. I also know several people who have used them for years with good success. I too was leary of having batteries inside the suit, but persuaded myself the real burn risk is a short in the heating beds, not the batteries lighting off. So far so good. Batteries are most vulnerable during charging and when subjected to heat or trauma. Along with prescribed care, keeping the vest stored/transported properly is important to keep the heating bed wires from getting pinched.

Back
Top Bottom