Hello Everyone from Charleston, SC!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Many thanks to you all for your encouraging words and advice!! After we finish our confined water dives by Next Wed., we will be doing our first Ow dive off of Charleston at a wreck called the Freddie Day. As long as I can equallize tonight, I feel really good about the rest! I feel much more confident now that I have read some of your replys!! Thanks again!

mtiffee:
Make sure you take some seasickness medicine. Even if you don't normally get sick, if you're nervous you might get some symptoms. Who are you diving with? I've lived here since 1996. It's way expensive here to go diving- twice what I pay to dive in the tropics.

Hey Mike,
I am taking my OW class with Charleston Scuba, and my instructor is Jason. I just signed up today for my first OW dive which is going out to the Freddie Day. They said it is a sunken barge, but has lots of marine life around it. The cost for the dive is $70.00. Is that normal or alot higher than in the tropics? I just returned from Punta Cana, Dominican Republic about a month ago(spent a week on vacation). It was great!!! My sister and I went out on a dive boat (some people were snorkerlers and the rest were divers) off the coast of the Dominican Republic to the Island Catalina....It was AWESOME!! The most beautiful Turquoise water I've ever seen! That's when I made up my mind right then and there to get certified. You said you had been all over the Tropics, and I was wondering if you had ever been to Roatan? I am dying to go there and was wondering how the diving was? I've heard it is great! After watching some of the people get seasick on that dive boat, I will definitely take your advice and bring the seasick medicine. I personally didn't get sick, but I wasn't diving either and very relaxed. Thanks again...

Lulunew2scub:
Hey Mike,
I am taking my OW class with Charleston Scuba, and my instructor is Jason. I just signed up today for my first OW dive which is going out to the Freddie Day. They said it is a sunken barge, but has lots of marine life around it. The cost for the dive is $70.00. Is that normal or alot higher than in the tropics?

Hi LuLu,
And welcome!!

Part of the cost of diving in your area is probably due to the fact that most dive sites are a bit off the coast and that means time (getting out there and back) and money (fuel expenses etc). Also, dive trips are more frequently cancelled due to unpredictable offshore weather/waves than in some other areas, so that probably ups the price of the "go" trips. In any event, I hope you enjoy the trip to the wreck. I'll be interested to hear what you think of it. I haven't dove in Charleston, but have been thinking about doing the Cooper River and would like to combine a trip to do that with an offshore trip.

By the way, if you don't have a problem equalizing your ears when flying and driving over mountains, I think that you will not have significant problems diving. I too worried about this, but it came very easy once underwater.

Dave

$70 is good for a 2 tank dive.. it's expensive for a 1 tank dive. The dive shop I talked to here was charging like 100-120 (don't remember) for a 3 tank dive plus you had to rent the tanks in addition to that! at like $8 or $10 each! I've heard good things about Charleston Scuba. I haven't been to Roatan, but I hear it's great. I've been to Belize for 16 days in May.. was great, especially turneffe and lighthouse reefs. I want to go to Honduras, maybe Anthonys Key Resort.

Aloha Lulu,

E Komo Mai (welcome) to the "club" as I like to call it. Great diving over here in Hawaii. If you ever make it by you should look me up for some real easy and fun shore dives. You'll see lots of cool stuff without having to go deep. Great way to build your confidence and skills. I can show you how we do it here and get you off to a good start. I hope you enjoy the Scubaboard.

Aloha,

Shaka Doug

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom