Hello everyone, new diver from the Atlanta area

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Just thought I'd say hey to see if this caught anyones interest in the area. I am a newly certified diver just getting into this amazing hobby. My Dad has been certified for ages, and he aways tried to get me to get certified myself but I had never tried it so I wasn't quite as enthusiastic to spend the money and go for it. Another buddy of mine in the area got certified and let me try it out in a pool with his instruction and supervision and I was completely hooked. I'm getting the last piece of gear I need (BC) used off a member of this forum this week, and I cant wait to start logging some dives. My parents live in Panama city beach, so I see myself going back and forth diving when I can take off for a weekend. I am excited to hit up some of these springs on the panhandle as well. One of my dives I dove in for my cert was vortex, and I would love to make the trip back. My parents also own a small cabin up north in helen Georgia, and I have been thinking about maybe trying some diving up there on the river?! I know of some spots right off our lot that are a good 15 feet deep with 20 feet or more of vis, but I am curious to know of some other dive areas in town besides lanier and alatoona(ew). Hopefully I can meet some people to dive with in town!

Hello Kennesaw,

Welcome to the sport of diving. I am probably around your dad's age or older and have been diving a bit over the last 4o some years. Just wanted to mention that the standard dive tables loaded in most computers aren't adjusted for the altitude in the mountains and you can get an case of the fizzies if you don't account for the difference in atmospheric pressure. I live on Lake Lanier and that's 1034msl to start, so I use altitude corrected tables. You might look into it before you go anywhere near 30 feet deep in Helen. (Last time I was there, I went rafting and couldn't fine more than 8 inches of water in the river.

Have a great time! Mike

Hey,

Congrats and welcome to the family/sport. you have aquarry up near you called divehaven. it's cold water with limited vis, but if you have "the bug" like most of us do, then you just want to find a place to get wet. It's located in white, ga. (Cartersville). i've also dove in the etowah river looking for artifacts. I'm a divemaster at a shop in Covington, ga. and we go to voetex or pelham, alabama once a month for checkout dives. you are more than welcome to go with us. The more the merrier. Fell free to pm me or email me .....jerry@eastatlantadivers.com.....with any questions. looking forward to hearing from ya.

jerry

Thanks Mike and Jerry for the warm welcome. Mike, I have certainly thought about diving at altitude and finding the proper dive tables, but off our property, I really haven't seen an areas deeper that 15 feet, and that might be a bit of an exaggeration. I love to camp up there so I thought it'd be nice to give it a try just for kicks, but thanks for the reminders, definitely something I need to think about before jumping in. Jerry, I am certainly interested in maybe tagging along sometime. I have heard a few people mention dive haven, so I am interested in checking that out, but i'd really like to hit up some more of these springs in the panhandle before school is in full swing and its harder for me to leave town. I'll save a trip to dive haven when Its hard for me to take off to pcb or wherever. I have joined the Atlanta aquanauts meetup group, so Im pretty stoked to meet people that could possibly be long term dive buddies. Ive got your email down, and I will definitely drop you an email if I know I have some free time coming up one weekend.

-Nic

Dive Haven had a surface temp of 82, the thermocline was at 17 feet, and 20-25' visibility.

Back
Top Bottom