Hello from a newbie in Philly

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks guys!

You know, I'd love to post something like "all my classes are going great", or even something like "I'm getting freaked out underwater, what should I do?", but I haven't BEEN in the water yet! Last week was the first class, and the pool portion got "rained" out... no problem- there was lots of new stuff to learn that day instead. Now it's a new week, and a new class tonight, and it's POURING again. And it's supposed to pour all week -with thunderstorms, so Wednesday's class is not looking good either.

I guess it's just a bad coincidence, but it makes me wonder why we aren't having the class in an indoor pool...

So, I still can't wait to get in the water! aaaaaaaaarrgh!

Hi from West Chester. I got certified at UWW a long time ago, but I'm just getting back into diving so I'm still a newbie at diving too.

Sorry to hear about the rain.

Benvenuto a bordo
and welcome in the under water world. You will enjoy a lot. Once you start can not stop. I just need to breath underwater and I feel better...

Ciao

Welcome Aboard!!!!!

Becarefull, it's addictive!!!

Good friends and good info. What could be better?!?!?!?!

P.S. - Don't forget to fill out your profile.

Well, we were able to get in the pool a little bit last Wednesday- finally! Just enough to do demonstrate our basic swimming skills and be "introduced" to the snorkle, mask, and fins, so that was good... Then, last night, we were able to get in for real, with all the SCUBA gear! That was so much fun!

It was a little frustrating the way everything actually unfolded. It wasn't a big deal, but I'll tell the story. First of all, I was surprised that we were supposed to learn and practice mask clearing while completely -including snorkle- underwater, BEFORE we were supposed to learn snorkle clearing. I've snorkled a few times before, but I would've thought that you'd want to learn how to clear the snorkle before doing anything else. Am I wrong?? I was too distracted by thinking about the next breath of air I was going to get to be comfortable with the mask clearing. Next time I get in I'm going to use the SCUBA reg for air, and use no mask at first, and then put on my mask underwater and clear it.

The other little issue I had was once we got on SCUBA, we were supposed to swim in the shallow end to get used to the feeling of breathing off the reg. Then we were supposed to go down to the deep end and get used to the same thing in deeper water. This was BEFORE we were given any weight belts. Now, the instructors both had wetsuits AND weight belts, the 2 other students had none of either, but I had a wetsuit and no weights. After suggesting that we practice being "buddies" while we swim around, everyone makes their way down to near the bottom, and starts swimming around nicely, except me. Every time I did a surface dive and swam down, I would pop back up to the surface. There was no way I could work on clearing my ears at all because I was fighting against my suit. Sometimes I'd get my fins out of the water trying to swim down and sometimes I'd be hitting the back of my head on the first stage, and other times, I'd pop back up and tangle up in the lane marker lines. At one point I found a ladder and tried holding on to it to keep myself down. Eventually I just hung out at the surface, holding out my BC vent, and pointing at my waist in frustration. After what seemed like forever, my instructor finally came up and got me a weight belt. After that, in the little time that we had left, the experience was much better.

Fun huh? I can't wait till we hit the pool again tomorrow!

Aloha! You'll like it here, this is the most informative place to go for SCUBA on the internet. Whether you want info, humor, or spirited debate, (or sometimes all three at once!), this is the place! :crafty:

TJ

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom