Hello From Ohio!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jondjames

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey everyone! My name is jon. I live in Cincinnati, Ohio. I recently finished my classroom/pool sessions locally and plan to take my certification dives next month with my LDS at a nearby quarry. My wife is my dive buddy:), although I'm more enthused than she is lol. I've always been fond of the ocean and marine life in general and really look forward to spending my fair share of time beneath the water for years to come! I'm here to browse around and obtain some knowledge and advice while at it I suppose. Thanks in advance for everything I gain while lurking around!

Last edited:
howdy, good luck and welcome from south Florida.....

Thanks. Since you're in the lauderdsle area can you tell me about the water clarity in your area?? I used to live in delray beach years back for about a year and don't remember the wanted being clear by any means, so I was curious what the diving conditions were like down your way

Hi Jon!

I recently finished my classroom/pool sessions locally and plan to take my certification dives next month with my LDS at a nearby quarry.

where you doing checkouts at? Still going to be a bit chilly around here next month; Wife and I (also dive buddies) are looking to start heading up to Gilboa next month, once its suitable for camping overnight, but in dry suits with lots of warm undergarments!

@Jondjames ...........generally 30 to 40 feet but currently 50 to 100 feet with flat seas today......you never know.

Hi, Jon! Welcome to diving !! Welcome to ScubaBoard !!
You and your wife both getting certified... that is great :) you guys already have built-in dive buddies

Hi Jon!

where you doing checkouts at? Still going to be a bit chilly around here next month; Wife and I (also dive buddies) are looking to start heading up to Gilboa next month, once its suitable for camping overnight, but in dry suits with lots of warm undergarments!

I believe there are 3 different times offered for our check out dives, those being tentatively scheduled for end of April then another weekend is offered in mid May and then one more beginning June. All 3 are full weekend events completing all dives over 2 days. I'm anxious to get my card in order to be ready for vacations in June and again in July therefore I was thinking of signing up for the mid May weekend. The dives will be done in New Paris, Ohio at a place called Natural Springs maybe??? Too cold?? The instructor said 7mm suits for sure in May lol but some fellow classmates were wanting to go mid April and they said we'd freeze our butts off lol

The dives will be done in New Paris, Ohio at a place called Natural Springs maybe??? Too cold?? The instructor said 7mm suits for sure in May lol but some fellow classmates were wanting to go mid April and they said we'd freeze our butts off lol

ah, Natural Springs. that’s where we did our OW checkouts as well. it warms quicker then then Gilboa, because its smaller and shallower, but its known for not having great viz. should be tolerable by May; my logs have it at 75 deg by June. upside is, if you can dive in cold green water with 10' of vis, everywhere else is an upgrade! its entry area is really nice though; no lugging gear up and down stairs!

looks like CDA is the only one scheduled up there in may so far, so presuming you're heading up there with them. Mike runs a great shop, and there's a really great group of regulars as well!

good luck on your checkouts! two vacations in two months, seriously jealous! where about you heading?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom