Hello! From relocated Alaskan, Getting back in the water finally!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divesurf

New
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello Everyone!

My name is Jay and I am just now back from 20 years in the wilderness of the far North!
I know people do, but for some reason I never got interested in cold water diving in Alaska.....

I grew up on the beach in Florida and had achieved Rescue Diver cert in 1988, and had over 400 dives logged by 1993. Lots of wreck diving, night diving, and deep dives, did Cayman Brac in 1992 (that was awesome!), but my log books are so old they have fallen apart! After all this time away from Diving I am just now getting back in to it - I dove the USVI around St. John last October. I'm looking to get back in shape and find a place to achieve a goal I had - getting my Divemaster cert - more as a personal accomplishment for myself since I'm in the second half of my 40s, but working in the industry in some way would be great!

I found this board and looks like an excellent place to find feedback on a location for an internship, but I admit I'm a bit concerned about finding a program that works for an old guy like me!

I have traveled extensively worldwide so I am considering a lot of places but have recently been focused on the Phillipines, Thailand, or Roatan. I'm hoping to do it in Sept/Oct this year but obviously I need to do a lot more diving to refresh myself before I start. Sometimes I think its been so long that I should just start all my certs over again! I am almost finished with the PADI Dive Theory online class, which has helped me remember all of my previous training.

Anyway, I'll probably be searching through all the Divemaster internship posts for awhile and asking silly questions about all the equipment advances that have occurred!

Wow - I can't wait to get back in to it!:D

Last edited:
Welcome to the board Jay I am sorry to say it but you missed it by not diving cold in Alaska we have some of the best around and its only cold when you don't gear up properly. Anyway welcome to the board You will be shocked to all of the equipment changes in the last few years but the not much beats the old stuff.
Herb
In
Alaska

Back
Top Bottom