Hello from San Diego

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi @WyattGlynn

Welcome to SB!

You have some wonderful local shore and boat diving. I spent some of my early diving years, mostly shore diving, when I attended UCSD from 1972-6. I have had the opportunity to return to San Diego half a dozen times and really enjoyed the diving, Wreck Alley, kelp forests, Hogan, Coronados.

We're all hoping the Covid-19 pandemic will allow us to get back diving

Thanks! I'm eager to get back out to Wreck Alley and to make my maiden trip to the Coronados this year, fingers crossed.

Welcome fellow San Diegan! Where exactly in SD are you? I'm always looking for more buddies! Feel free to PM me if you don't want to completely put it our there.

I'm in Ocean Beach. You?

La Jolla Cove--San Diego

Where it all began

There are a number of vintage books devoted to spear fishing, the most desirable and rarest is of course Gilpatrics "Complete Goggler," published in 1938.

Equally rare, perhaps even rarer are vintage magazine articles. The 1949 National Geographic magazine artcle "Goggle fishing in California Waters," Vol ZCV #5,May 1949, is considered by most serious magliophile/bibliophile as the fountainhead of magazine articles devoted to spear fishing. And it all took place in LA Jolla Cove

Universally known as the "Bottom Scratcher issue," Pages 615 to 632 is jammed packed with the photography of Lamar Boren, who later gained fame as the photographer of the Sea Hunt series, there are 7 B&W photographs, 12 "natural color" photographs (in 1949 color photography was in it's infancy) and with a text written by professional National Geographic staff member. This issue should be on every collector/historian bucket list.

There is a historical significance of articles and books of this era that provide a glimpse in to a the genesis of the sport and should be cherished as great historical documents...The crude early Churchill fins; the homemade equipment; the masks, the jab sticks (pole spears) the lack of thermal protection...All these items were in the process of future development.

So by visiting and hopefully diving La Jolla Cove you would be diving "where it all began" in California by the Bottom Scratchers spear fishing club - One of the most historical diving locations in the world.

LA Jolla Cove was also the location of the famous GWS attack during the summer of 1959 when skin diver Robert Pammerdin lost his life-

Only a few remain who were participants of that bygone era and they are rapidly dwindling in numbers, soon they all will be gone...

It has been a number of years since I dove :"The Cove" but the Sea the eternal sea remains the same only the intruders have changed; now clad in the bright multihued consume of the modern diver a new generation is discovering the cove
proving once again Thomas Wolfe's monumental classic book correct " You cant go home again "

SDM 111

La Jolla Cove--San Diego

Where it all began

There are a number of vintage books devoted to spear fishing, the most desirable and rarest is of course Gilpatrics "Complete Goggler," published in 1938.

Equally rare, perhaps even rarer are vintage magazine articles. The 1949 National Geographic magazine artcle "Goggle fishing in California Waters," Vol ZCV #5,May 1949, is considered by most serious magliophile/bibliophile as the fountainhead of magazine articles devoted to spear fishing. And it all took place in LA Jolla Cove

Universally known as the "Bottom Scratcher issue," Pages 615 to 632 is jammed packed with the photography of Lamar Boren, who later gained fame as the photographer of the Sea Hunt series, there are 7 B&W photographs, 12 "natural color" photographs (in 1949 color photography was in it's infancy) and with a text written by professional National Geographic staff member. This issue should be on every collector/historian bucket list.

There is a historical significance of articles and books of this era that provide a glimpse in to a the genesis of the sport and should be cherished as great historical documents...The crude early Churchill fins; the homemade equipment; the masks, the jab sticks (pole spears) the lack of thermal protection...All these items were in the process of future development.

So by visiting and hopefully diving La Jolla Cove you would be diving "where it all began" in California by the Bottom Scratchers spear fishing club - One of the most historical diving locations in the world.

LA Jolla Cove was also the location of the famous GWS attack during the summer of 1959 when skin diver Robert Pammerdin lost his life-

Only a few remain who were participants of that bygone era and they are rapidly dwindling in numbers, soon they all will be gone...

It has been a number of years since I dove :"The Cove" but the Sea the eternal sea remains the same only the intruders have changed; now clad in the bright multihued consume of the modern diver a new generation is discovering the cove
proving once again Thomas Wolfe's monumental classic book correct " You cant go home again "

SDM 111

Thank you for this post. That is super interesting! I have to hit up my Stepdad, he still has a lot of his Nat Geo magazines from when he was a kid. He was born in 42 so there is a tiny chance he has that one.

I really only have good pictures from my last dive before this whole covid situation went down, as I got my camera shortly before that, but here are some pictures from the oil rigs off San Pedro:
You should start an Album, if you haven't already......Cool photos. (No pun intended.)
Cheers.

I really only have good pictures from my last dive before this whole covid situation went down, as I got my camera shortly before that, but here are some pictures from the oil rigs off San Pedro:

Thanks for sharing!

That first photo is so pretty to me. What is that, please?

@Domovoi
"Thank you for this post. That is super interesting! I have to hit up my Stepdad, he still has a lot of his Nat Geo magazines from when he was a kid. He was born in 42 so there is a tiny chance he has that one. "
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
1) Check local libraries
2) obtain copy via a PAL loan (Professional Association of Libraries)
3) order a copy of article via local library - very reasonable
4) check E bay

<<< recall math 2020- 1949 =71 years >>>

S

Thanks for sharing!

That first photo is so pretty to me. What is that, please?

If I'm referring to the same picture as I think you are, it is a giant sea star surrounded by hundreds of brittle stars. The rigs were quite entertaining. Some sections were covered with so many brittle stars that it looked like they had living hair.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom